Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please >

Help Please

Help Please

Old 04-26-2011, 04:05 AM

First thing that came to my mind was did you use regular heat n bond or heat and bond lite?? the lite version is specially made for sewing the other you just iron it on (you can paint around the edges if you want)
I use the heat n bond lite for all of my applique in sewing and quilting..
Look at your packages and see what it says..
Hope that this helps
Quiltinmama
Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by jenny112058
Working on one now that is giving me a fit. Hope someone can help! I’m doing a Sunbonnet Sue. I used Heat n Bond Lite; when I go to sew them the thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. I have used 4 different machines and tried copy paper and/or wax paper and I still get thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. Help please, anyone know what I can do to solve this problem? Thanks!!!!
When I was working on a fabric that had glued on sparkles I used alcohol on a 2 inch piece of cloth, and wipe the needle down when the glue started to build up. Worked great.
Syl
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

I pretty much use Wonder Under all the time for fusible. I am wondering if you pressed your piece a little more (maybe in just one area to try this) if the extra heat would dissipate some of the glue and help with the stitching. If you try this, be sure to let it cool before you stitch.

I am certainly no expert, but it sounds like there might be a lot of fusible material on the product you are using.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 AM

heatnbond,wonderunder, steamaseam, you have to make sure you get the sewable says right on the package, Iv never had a problem with any of them,
good luck
Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM

I have used waxpaper to clean my iron off, you heat the iron scrunch the paper up and rub the bottom it will take gunk off
Old 04-26-2011, 05:44 PM

Thank you I might have to do just that! :-)

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I have had this same problem with fusible - it is the nature of some of them. Does anyone know if there is a brand that doesn't clog up like that?

here is their website, says it does NOT gum up.
http://www.thermowebonline.com/dyn_p...p=3522&k=86489

try writing to them? also they have a toll-free number
Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks, i have to give this a try with the machine oil. I tried the wax paper and cloth with hopes that the wax paper would keep the needle from glue build-up but it didn't work. We were just trying anything we could to stop the glue build-up problem. So that was the reason for wax paper in the sewing room at this time. LOL

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i keep a small square of muslin saturated with machine oil next to my machine- when fusable glue builds up on my needle i use the cloth to clean it off- the oil helps keep it from building up so quickly.

I have to ask...
what do you use wax paper for in your sewing room???i keep seeing mentions of it but have no idea what you could possibly be doing with it.
I have used freezer paper in my sewing room for years- it is a staple in my sewing ... but wax paper---other than pressing fall leaves between sheets of it- what do you do with it???

i realize some people do not know there is a difference between wax paper and freezer paper-
freezer paper is white- comes in a big blue box- is a (butcher's paper) strong- white paper on one side- plastic coating on the other side- you can write on the paper side- it is easy to see through- you press the plastic side to fabrics...it leaves no residue and is re=usable.
Wax paper is a transparent paper with wax on both sides- when you press it the wax melts and comes off on anything you may press it to. in grade school we collected leaves and pressed them between 2 sheets of wax paper.

so--what is wax paper good for in sewing???
Old 04-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help! I will try each one and see what works best for me. Thank you so much!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
I also have use Wonder Under and Steam a Seam without problems.
Same here
Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 PM

I've used Heat & Bond LITE as well as Wonder Under with no problems at all!!! I hope you can find the answer that will end your nightmare!!!!!