Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please >

Help Please

Help Please

Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

I was asked to finish a wallhanging and I think they used regular Heat and Bond. I managed to thread paint/top stitch the design down and then machine quilted around the pieces, not on them. For my own applique, I use Wonder Under and have never had any trouble with it.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by jenny112058
Working on one now that is giving me a fit. Hope someone can help! I知 doing a Sunbonnet Sue. I used Heat n Bond Lite; when I go to sew them the thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. I have used 4 different machines and tried copy paper and/or wax paper and I still get thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. Help please, anyone know what I can do to solve this problem? Thanks!!!!
Jenny what about a bigger needle
Old 04-27-2011, 03:47 AM

My preference for fusible applique is Heat 'N Bond Lite and I never have any problems with it. Are you sure (see me smiling) you don't have the Ultra-Hold in the red package?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 AM

I don't have a solution for you but the one response about wiping your needle down with alcohol sounds reasonable or maybe you could use GOO GONE. I used heat and bond once to try to applique and I had the gummy build up on my needle. Needless to say I never used that again for applique. I stick to Wonder Under and don't have a problem.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 AM

Try using a top stitch needle or sharp needle.
Even if you have changed your needle sometimes you will get a bad one. (60% of needles are rejected ) and need to change again.
Good Luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 AM

I
Working on one now that is giving me a fit. Hope someone can help! I知 doing a Sunbonnet Sue. I used Heat n Bond Lite; when I go to sew them the thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. I have used 4 different machines and tried copy paper and/or wax paper and I still get thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. Help please, anyone know what I can do to solve this problem? Thanks!!!!

I use Wonder Under and have never had a problem. I have used it a lot. Marge L.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:14 AM

Steam-a-Seam 2 is great.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 AM

[quote=jenny112058]Working on one now that is giving me a fit. Hope someone can help! I知 doing a Sunbonnet Sue. I used Heat n Bond Lite; when I go to sew them the thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. I have used 4 different machines and tried copy paper and/or wax paper and I still get thread breaks or needle clogs with the glue from Heat n Bond or get skipped stitches. Help please, anyone know what I can do to solve this problem? Thanks!!!!
I am like you I went into fits from now on I just pin and pin alot a bit more work in the beginning but well worth the trouble in the end.]
Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 AM

After reading the suggestions a thought occurred to me. Do you know what the thread wax is? It comes in a round shape and you pull your thread through it before sewing (hand sewing) and it keeps the thread from knotting. Wal Mart carries it. I wonder if you pulled your thread through it (using a needle) somewhere at the top of the machine and then thread as per your machine. I wonder if this would help the thread slide through the glue. Have you tried a heavier thread and a larger needle? I know they leave holes but you could press them out. Good luck.

Let us know what you do to fix this. Thanks. Yolanda Wood River
Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 AM

Some Heat & Bond is non-sewable. You have to read the fine print on the label. I bought some one time for applique, only to get it home and find that you can't use it for sewing. No more of that. I buy stitch witchery.