Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, Please :) >

Help, Please :)

Help, Please :)

Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 AM

I tried not using the spray basting but the end result was not as good as with. Spray basting washes out the first wash as well as all the sizing in the fabric(I don't prewash). Also make sure your machine is set for Heavy material. Another thing to keep the quilt from pulling is to have something to have the rest of the quilt rest on while quilting. I don't have a large sewing table so I adjust my ironing board and use that.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:54 AM

are your feed dogs disengaged? If the feed dogs are engaged they will cause puckers
Are you rolling the quilt and starting in the very center?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 AM

have you checked your tension and I was also told to lenghten my stitch when quilting
Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
Just today I learned that one reason for puckers in the back, is if the foot pressure is too tight. Saw this on a website but cant remember where.

Kat
This may be the one ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8qRhWF3CI
Old 07-04-2011, 04:45 AM

The backing should be on a hard surface and taut not tight, smooth the batting and lay over the backing, smooth and pinned the top to the layers. Start pinning in the center and pin to the edges. Start sewing in the center and sew outward. Has worked for me even on my first. If I can do it anybody can. Good luck
Old 07-04-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by countryone77
Originally Posted by GreatStarter
Just today I learned that one reason for puckers in the back, is if the foot pressure is too tight. Saw this on a website but cant remember where.

Kat
This may be the one ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8qRhWF3CI
This is a fantastic video. Sooner or later I will use all the knobs on my machine.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I don't think the problem is the pinning. It is the pressure on the presser foot. There is a small knob or some type of screw thing you can adjust to make the foot not push down do hard on the layers of fabric.

The little round thing turns up or down to release the pressure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]220658[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-220652.jpe  
Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 AM

I also use large office clamps when I lay out my backing. I clamp it to a table, then add the batting and clamp it. Then lay out my quilt top on it. I also use quilters safety pins and pin about every 4-5 inches. Since using the clamps I haven't had any puckers in the back of my quilts - and I have done small sizes and large sized quilts. I spray baste my small projects, usually not my large projects. Keep trying, you'll get it!!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:31 AM

"This is my method as well. Then once it is all pinned, I smooth outward with every seam I sew. Good Luck!" quote from Challys
I do this, too, but I actually take the quilt off my machine and smooth it all out again and again and repin. It takes time but so does doing the "frog" - ripit, ripit. Hope this helps. You'll get it right - it just takes time.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 AM

Guess I'm really the far out quilter. I, too had problems with tucks when I first started quilting on my machine. Now. I use cotton crochet thread and baste. Use a large curved needle. Start in the middle and go to one side with inch long stitches. Turn and do the same thing from the middle again. I stay on one side of the quilt until it has been basted. When that side is basted, rows about 4 inches apart, I go to the other side and use the same method..If there is a tuck, cut the basting and remove a couple inches, spread the tuck and then use a small amount of thread to hold in place.

Bind before removing basting stitching.

I have some small tucks, but nothing that doesn't disappear when washed. Yes, It's a lot of work, but if it works and you don't want to spend the money on charity quilt, it is worth it.