Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, Please :) >

Help, Please :)

Help, Please :)

Old 07-04-2011, 09:05 AM

One tip I learned (almost too late) is to begin quilting on the quilt sandwich in the center and sew with a walking foot to the edge; THEN, return to the center and sew out to another edge; repeat returning to the center for the last two edges. Then I keep smoothing and work within the quarter sections using a FMQ foot with dogs down. This has eliminated puckers for me (I spray baste, though, and pin where it seems necessary using quilting safety pins).
Old 07-04-2011, 09:53 AM

I lay the back smooth (but not taut) on a table, then add the batting, smooth it out and then add the (pressed) top. I took a little class that suggested putting a marble under the sandwich and rolling it to allow an Avery Dennison Micro-Fastener to be used every 4 inches. The micro-fasteners are small enough to hold the sandwich firmly together. The marble is low enough so as to not disturb the sandwich. I only had one small pucker that I could steam out. (You can get the marbles in a jar in the plant section of Michaels.) Also, does your Necchi have an addjustment for the bottom tension? I thought the one that I wore out had such an adjutment. Hope this helps. (Micro-Fasteners are available at Amazon.)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Smoothing outward with every seam is very important.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 AM

I was taught to tape the back taut, then tape the batting and then tape the top down. Then I start pinning in the center and work towards outside edges. I've also used very large binder clips on the edges of the tables instead of tape. Both have worked really well. I also start quilting in the center and work my way out.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I purchased safety pins from the dry cleaners and put them all over the quilt from the middle out checking constantly for puckers on back and front before I put the next pin in. It is a little time consuming but prevents puckers.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 PM

I too had the same problem and couldn't afford to have my quilts quilted. It is time consuming, but whenever I get a quilt ready to quilt on my domestic machine I use Sharon Schamber's method of basting a quilt together - no puckers whatsoever! I do this basting while watching TV and have the pieces on the coffee table in front of me. She has a video on this method using pieces of baseboard.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:27 PM

I sympathise with you. It is so frustrating. It sounds like you are doing the right things but I would suggest you pin closer together. I had similar problems when I started and if I was using a polyester batting the fabric slid around much more so I needed to pin closer to keep that from happening and I quilt in a grid like fashion starting in the centre stitch in the ditch and working out then I turn the quilt a quarter and start in the centre and work out and turn again etc. Pinning lots was the key for me. If you use a cotton batting it grips the fabric better and doesn't slide as much. I referred to the Harriet Hargrave book for tips but there are plenty of tips here to help you also. Let us know how you go. I guess there could be a problem with your machine but you would need to try someone else's if you could to determine if it was your techniques or the machine. Good luck. It will be great when you get it sorted.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 PM

I clamp my backing to a table then add the batting and clamp tight again and then add the top doing the same and then I pin same amt distance all the way through the quilt and then start in the center and go out. I don't have any puckers then.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:41 PM

I too use safety pins and then stitch in the ditch holding both sides of fabric as I stitch a little slower than usually with the walking foot. Before I got the walking foot I spent about as much ripping out stitching as I did sewing. I haven't had much success with free motion quilting-maybe not enough practice.

Love the walking foot with my Bernina 440 QE. Also purchased a generic one for my Singer 15-works well with it also. It is much easier for me than FMQ.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:45 PM

I have an extension table for my machine and it does give you a larger space to work on making it easier to move the quilt.