Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help, please!

Smile Help, please!

I have been "volunteered" to make a quilt (no specific size) for a silent auction for a fundraiser for a first responders' support group of which I am a member. I would love to have some suggestions for a quick and easy pattern. The ones to which I am drawn are usually more complicated (go figure) and would take more time than I have before the deadline. Also, I do not do fmq, but only stitch-in-the-ditch, or straight-line machine quilting. I would prefer to do this myself and eliminate the cost of having it fmq'd. Any suggestions or patterns would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Turning twenty or one of the ones you can find reference to on the Board would work and they're simple as well. Good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    Disappearing 9-patch (DP9) is a good one, as is Warm Wishes. Rail Fence is also very easy. I think all would lend themselves to straight-line machine quilting.

If at all possible, get the support group to change the quilt from silent auction to raffle. I personally would never agree to make a quilt for a silent auction. I would make a quilt for a raffle, however. A raffle for a quilt typically brings in a lot more money than a silent auction, making it more worthwhile. In a silent auction, it's quite possible for a beautiful quilt to be auctioned off for less than the cost of the materials used in it. There have been quite a few experiences of this posted on the QB in the past. Raffle quilts tend to fare much better. Typically you sell a raffle ticket for $1, or 6 tickets for $5. It helps if the raffle tickets are also sold leading up to the event. This way the quilt is much more likely to raise $1,000 for the charity.

DP9 or 10 minute block are fast and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Disappearing 9-patch (DP9) is a good one, as is Warm Wishes. Rail Fence is also very easy. I think all would lend themselves to straight-line machine quilting.

If at all possible, get the support group to change the quilt from silent auction to raffle. I personally would never agree to make a quilt for a silent auction. I would make a quilt for a raffle, however. A raffle for a quilt typically brings in a lot more money than a silent auction, making it more worthwhile. In a silent auction, it's quite possible for a beautiful quilt to be auctioned off for less than the cost of the materials used in it. There have been quite a few experiences of this posted on the QB in the past. Raffle quilts tend to fare much better. Typically you sell a raffle ticket for $1, or 6 tickets for $5. It helps if the raffle tickets are also sold leading up to the event. This way the quilt is much more likely to raise $1,000 for the charity.
    I know a raffle has more income potential, but they are set on the silent auction format. I think it was dictated by the group offering the forums, since they are hosting. We are fortunate that the proceeds of the silent auction will come to our group and not be dispersed among several.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

for a quick quilt 9 patch is by far the best just sew those long strips
    i agree Prism 99 all the way around you can get several times more money from a raffle

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    DP9 or 10 minute block are fast and easy.
    I would also suggest either of these. Yesteday I quilted a D9P with straight line stitching, but with a "wavy" straight stitch. It turned out good and I didn't have to worry if I got out of the ditch!
    ~~ Butterflies can't see their wings.
    They can't see how truly beautiful they are,
    but everyone else can. People are kinda like that. ~~

Blog Entries
    I really love Hidden Wells as a quick but interesting pattern, I just did stitch in the ditch on mine and it looked fine.
    http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/hwells.htm
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I really love Hidden Wells as a quick but interesting pattern, I just did stitch in the ditch on mine and it looked fine.

Oh my gosh.... I love this pattern! Thanks for sharing.

I would love to see a pic of yours!

Thanks Woody....definitely do-able and looks very intricate when done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
    Oh my gosh.... I love this pattern! Thanks for sharing.

I would love to see a pic of yours!
    Here are some examples, mine should be the 3rd one along, it's a great pattern.
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...LYKXiAes3OjPDQ

re: hidden well pattern....like the way it looks, but directions did not say how many strips to cut to make whatever size quilt one wants......or did I not read right--

I have been using the Just Cant Cut it quilt pattern to make quick quilt.Name:  photo-15.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  92.6 KB
    Easy peasy stitch in the ditch!!

Maybe you could do a bit of negotiating. Someone else 'volunteer' to do the quilting. Then you can make the top whatever you want.

I belong to a group where one person makes a top, I quilt, then someone else puts on the label and binding. It goes really fast this was as we each do what we do best.

Just sayin',

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Thanks os much for the Hidden Wells pattern. So simple yet lloks so good! Love yours, Woody.

Why not do one of the Quilt as you go that way IT will be Quilted all at once!

I have made a couple of these. you take either 5-7 strips depending on the width of the strips and the size of the print you are using. I do 6 strips and cut 2 1 1/2" 2 2 1/2" and 2 3 1/2". then I sew them all together. and you want to cut them wof. you can get up to 4 squares or so if you care cutting them between 9 1/2-11 or so inches square. which should cut out about 16 half square triangle squares. I sew around the edges of the squares that are strips to help time. then I cut them corner to corner. then you turn them and sew them back together. you should get about 4 12-14/16" squares depending on the size of squares you cut from strips. I will post a couple of pics of what I am talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by sahm4605; 02-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Power Poster
    Disappearing 4 patch is another good one that looks complex but it's easy. There are many fine examples on QB and I think a tutorial? If not, you simply sew a 4 patch block and then decide on how far you want to recut the center portion. I usually do a 12 inch finished 4 patch block and then I cut 2 inches on either side of the center seams times 4. Once you cut it you change the pieces and re-sew the block. Clear as mud right? There should be a tutorial you can follow and once you make one it is a good pattern for a fast quilt top.

Quote Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
    Why not do one of the Quilt as you go that way IT will be Quilted all at once!
    I don't know what that is. Are there directions available? I did make one 10 minute block to try it. Turned out good, but took me considerably longer than 10 minutes.

AliKat - I'd love to be able to delegate part of the work, but none of the others quilt, so if I start it, I have to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    I have made a couple of these. you take either 5-7 strips depending on the width of the strips and the size of the print you are using. I do 6 strips and cut 2 1 1/2" 2 2 1/2" and 2 3 1/2". then I sew them all together. and you want to cut them wof. you can get up to 4 squares or so if you care cutting them between 9 1/2-11 or so inches square. which should cut out about 16 half square triangle squares. I sew around the edges of the squares that are strips to help time. then I cut them corner to corner. then you turn them and sew them back together. you should get about 4 12-14/16" squares depending on the size of squares you cut from strips. I will post a couple of pics of what I am talking about.
    This is beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Yellow Brick Road is a fast pattern.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    re: hidden well pattern....like the way it looks, but directions did not say how many strips to cut to make whatever size quilt one wants......or did I not read right--

For a 12" block, plan your strips to assemble to a 9.5" width. For a larger 18" block, make your strips add up to 14". For interest, cut strips to varying widths, making some two or three inches wide and others only 1.5 inches wide.

Basically anything goes as long as they add up to either 9.5" or 14" a great way to use up small amounts of fabric. Hope this helps

The Hidden Wells looks great. Have bookmarked it. Many thanks.

Annie

Blog Entries
    I made two quilts for two different raffles. We sold tickets for $5.00 each or five for $20.00. The last quilt made over $2,000. One of them was Patience Corners (Quilter's Cache) and the other was a sampler. It was a lot of fun to make. Another easy one is Floating Stars (Quilter's Cache). Good luck, enjoy, and write a book to go with it to give it provenance......headlines, weather, sports, little stories from the neighborhood, your feelings on things, what your block represents (quilt), a few recipes and a little saying at the end of each page, like "Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail", or "A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water." Just a suggestion. Good luck with the quilt, and enjoy making it. It gives a body such a good, good feeling. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    The hidden wells patern looks so interesting, I'm going to have to do that some day!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast