Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please >

Help please

Help please

Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Good suggestions all. Thank you so much. My mother in law came to help me start up when I first got the machine (a year ago). We had to adjust the bottom tension because it was way too tight. But you are right, I may have jacked it up re doing it. I will try all of this and let you know what happens. Thank you seeeewwww much!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Take the bobbin area apart as much as you can even if you have to use a screwdriver. One little snip of thread caught down in there can cause continuous jamming. While you're there, clean it out good and put in a drop of oil unless it's a non oil machine. I'm sure you are holding your threads when you start to sew. BTW, I adjust my bobbins whenever needed.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 AM

To re-adjust the tension on the bobbin, put the bobbin in the case as normally as you would to put back in the machine. Hold on to the thread tail and just by the thread you should be able to pick up the bobbin case unit without more thread pulling off the bobbin. Then gently bounce the bobbin unit. A little thread should spool off the bobbin then stop. If no more thread feeds off the bobbin the tension is too tight. This will help re-adjust the tension and get it quite close. It may need a little fine tuning after this which can often be done with the upper tension.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 PM

A great suggestion when I was taking a serger course, WRITE DOWN ALL YOUR NORMAL SETTINGS. This way, when you make adjustments for different fabrics/patterns, you have a baseline reference point. I think this makes excellent sense with respect to regular sewing machines as well.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 PM

It may be as simple as the bobbin not being seated properly in the bobbin case. Take out the bobbin and reinsert it and make sure it is seated properly. Ask me how I know....lol..Singers are notorious for that.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 AM

So I finally got it over to my MIL and I had was missing a step in threading, of all the silly things. Even after looking at the book. Well, that's a rookie mistake and boy am I glad I'm a rookie. Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 PM

I am glad it was something simple. We all over look the simple things from time to time.