Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help to print off paper pieced pattern >

Help to print off paper pieced pattern

Help to print off paper pieced pattern

Old 03-10-2016, 04:07 AM

Another way to use the thinner paper is to staple a few sheets together, I can do up to 8, pattern on top and machine stitch on the lines; using an old needle, stitch length 3 and no thread. I have done this on many pp patterns.
The only thing you have to do is copy/write the numbers - sequence, but since I always write the color of the pieces this step is not that hard.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:07 AM

I use the least expensive regular copy paper from Walmart in my inkjet printer for all the paper piecing I do. The paper is just fine. I shorten my stitch length to make tearing the paper away easier when I've finished stitching. I do set my printer options for 100% or actual size -- depending on the pattern I'm printing -- and I always select draft mode to make my ink cartridges go further. I have NEVER had a problem with the ink bleeding on any of the fabrics I've used, and (believeme) I've used quite a few!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:50 AM

You can use regular computer paper for pp. When you go to have your copies made using a copy machine make certain of two things: 1) Have enough copies for your whole projects and a few extras 2) Make the first copy and check it with the original. Hold it up to a window and make certain it matches the original exactly. You may have to increase or decrease the percentage (example - 99% or 101%) to match the original. When sewing, use a small stitch. When you are ready to tear off the paper, fold on the stitched line or run the back edge of your seam ripper over the stitching and the paper comes off easier.

I have printed many paper pieced block papers on my ink jet printer and I have never had a problem with the ink bleeding. Your fabric and the ink are not next to each other. I try not to have liquid that can spill around my sewing area.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Or you could try this. saves.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzW...bktY4JITE8j5BQ You only need to make a few copies.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:58 AM

Try the printer paper from the 99 cents only or Dollar Tree, as it is not as thick.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:22 AM

I have used Carol Doaks paper in my Cannon printer with no problem. ARE you using brand ink?..HP for HP etc? I let the pages sit for a while before using. I have since ordered newprint from OD...same as Carol D, but a whole lot cheaper.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:27 AM

I agree with feline fanatic, I just use the cheapest copy paper I find/have for paper piecing and have never had a problem. I use my ink jet printer, and have never had a problem with the ink "bleeding", when you use a laser printer, is when you get a problem with "bleeding" or at least it has been in my experience.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:43 AM

I go to the Dollar store and get those pads of paper for art. It is newsprint paper. I run it though the ink jet and a laser and no issues with jamming or ink bleeding. I do cut them down to 8.5x 11. And of course, change your stitch length.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Whitney60 View Post
Now to figure out "draft mode" and shades of gray. Anything special I need to know about that. Thanks again, Donna
"draft mode" is a setting in your printer that saves ink and "shades of gray" (also known as "gray scale" -my new printer says "black and white" ) is a setting to not use any colored ink. I have an HP printer and you would go to "printer features" to find this settings before you print.
Hopes this helps
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 AM

It sounds like an interesting quilt. Please post pictures to keep us updated on this quilt. I would love to see it completed.