Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM >

Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM

Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM

Old 07-13-2019, 03:32 PM

This is also mostly the way I do it too except taping the backing only like you do. After I lay the batting smoothly I smooth out my pieced top. Then starting in the center I start pinning. It takes Lots of curved pins, but I smooth it all out as I go. When I start quilting I work the same way, starting in the center going outwards. I just finished a 90 x 100 and not even one pucker. I must say I was very pleased. Good luck and don't stress out, it takes all the fun out if you do.
Originally Posted by osewme View Post
When putting together my quilt sandwich I do it on my tile floor. I put the backing down first (right side facing the floor). Then I tape one side to the floor & then go to the opposite side & "stretch" the backing & tape that side down. Then I go to the next side, tape it down, got to it's opposite side & "stretch" it & tape it down. Now my backing is taunt. Then I layer my batting smoothly. The I put on my quilt top (right side facing up) and go through the same steps as I do for the backing. Then I pin baste it. I've used basting spray before in addition to pins but I don't really like to use the spray. I've not had any problems with puckering when I do it this way.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-13-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

I have two folding tables I put up and usually spray baste it. when using a temporary spray baste, spray it quickly across and then down and across. doing "rows" sort of. lightly. the spray will let you reposition the fabric if necessary.
or you can pin your quilt while it is on the table. some clip the edges, some do not. look at video's and take your time.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:38 PM

I spray baste and have used this technique on my last quilts. It worked very well and no crawling around on the floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaI...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-14-2019, 01:46 AM

I quilt using a DSM - but my quilts are small. The biggest one I’ve made was a lap quilt. I have not mastered free-motion quilting yet - I usually Stitch-in-the-Ditch or a quarter inch from the ‘ditch’. I can also do wavey lines.

When I start quilting I roll the part of the ‘sandwich’ that is going to go through the well (is that the right name?) of the machine and clip or pin the ends of the roll to stop it unrolling. Then I work from the centre, sometimes from top to bottom, or centre to top then centre to bottom.

Don't tell the Quilting Police but every now and again I take the quilt away from the machine, spread it out on a table and check that there are no puckers or problems on the back. If there are I sort it before I continue.

When I prepare my sandwich I use safety pins. I will also use straight pins - the long ones with flat heads - and pin just the section or block I am working on as it goes through the machine. This does involve a lot of stopping and starting but it works for me.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:15 AM

Sharon Schamber's "board" method is my favorite! There are Youtube tutorials out there. You do it on a table, so no more floor work! Like everything else, the more you do it, the better (and faster) you get.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 AM

I, too, use the Sharon Schambers board method, but I pin mine. I also roll my batting on a pool noodle so it is under control. I never have had a wrinkle as long as I take the time to get out a second table to make my DR table as wide as the quilt.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 AM

Thanks, everyone, for great information! I'm watching the videos and I am definitely going out to buy some spray baste product.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I do as osewme does only I do it on my cutting table using giant binder clips to hold everything in place. I start with the center of the quilt - regardless of size. Clip all sides down then pin. When I have the center section pinned I slide the whole thing off to one side and repeat. Keep sliding it around on the table until I have the entire sandwich pinned.

Beats crawling around on the floor plus I don't have that much open floor space!
This is how I do it, too. There's no way I could get down on my hands and knees to baste, even if I had the space. This is one reason I have so many tops and so few quilts. It's a long, tedious process. I use safety pins, because spraying is out of the question with my carpeted floors.

Leslie
Old 07-15-2019, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
This is how I do it, too. There's no way I could get down on my hands and knees to baste, even if I had the space. This is one reason I have so many tops and so few quilts. It's a long, tedious process. I use safety pins, because spraying is out of the question with my carpeted floors.

Leslie
please consider using Elmer’s washable school glue! Try it on a practice project. It is the easiest way I have found. I’ve tried everything but the board method. I don’t clip anything. I do it on my dining room table but any table will do.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
please consider using Elmer’s washable school glue! Try it on a practice project. It is the easiest way I have found. I’ve tried everything but the board method. I don’t clip anything. I do it on my dining room table but any table will do.
Do you spread the glue over the whole quilt or just in certain areas? Also, do you dilute the glue at all? I've used Elmer's to attach a faux flange to a quilt, and for that I used it full strength. I've heard of people using a small foam paint roller to spread the glue on a whole quilt.
Thanks for your tip, Alyce!