Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM >

Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM

Help - Problem first time quilting on a DSM

Old 07-15-2019, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
Do you spread the glue over the whole quilt or just in certain areas? Also, do you dilute the glue at all? I've used Elmer's to attach a faux flange to a quilt, and for that I used it full strength. I've heard of people using a small foam paint roller to spread the glue on a whole quilt.
Thanks for your tip, Alyce!
I use the glue full strength drizzled sort of in a grid pattern on the batting and smooth the top or backing. I lay it all out on my table. Smooth it. No clamping or tape. Then pull back about half and drizzle on the glue. Then pull up that half and smooth it all out. Flip it over and do the other side. No ironing. It dries overnight. It goes pretty quick. My biggest is a large queen size and it worked great. No rollers. I get the small bottles when I can find them for a dollar. It takes between one and two bottles. I don’t dilute it. I think of it as replacing pin basting not spray basting. I taught two of my friends to do it. They were surprised it was so easy.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I do as Stitchnripper does. I love that technique.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I use the glue full strength drizzled sort of in a grid pattern on the batting and smooth the top or backing. I lay it all out on my table. Smooth it. No clamping or tape. Then pull back about half and drizzle on the glue. Then pull up that half and smooth it all out. Flip it over and do the other side. No ironing. It dries overnight. It goes pretty quick. My biggest is a large queen size and it worked great. No rollers. I get the small bottles when I can find them for a dollar. It takes between one and two bottles. I don’t dilute it. I think of it as replacing pin basting not spray basting. I taught two of my friends to do it. They were surprised it was so easy.
Thanks for the explanation, Alyce. It sounds very doable. I may try it soon.

Leslie