Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Quilting disaster! >

Help! Quilting disaster!

Help! Quilting disaster!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Well, it's called patchwork for a reason! Many people used to patch their quilts.

Like Bobbinwinder I thought about applique...how about a little puppy shape? Or a bone? A doghouse? You could use fabric to blend or stand out. Maybe one day you'll smile when you see that patch and remember your precious pooch!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 AM

I had to repair a baby quilt and this is what I did and it worked well.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 AM

My son had pet rats which did the same thing during the night. (Their wedding quilt was just a little too close to the cage.) I was able to find scraps that were the same fabric and on the top I just appliqued the same piecing over the top. I did the same on the back. If I were to try to find the spot from the top I couldn't do it. The back was a print whole piece so it was much harder to hide but they don't look at the back so it worked great!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 AM

i agree with many others, I would make a patch of sorts. but what i would do, since i see you already quilted it..GREAT job by the way.. is sew around the edge of the patch and then kind of take the way you quilted the rest and apply that to the patch as well. hope that helps!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I have one that has a tiny chew hole as well. I have not fixed it yet, but what I intend to do is use fusible web to cover it. I will put a bit of batting in and see what I can do to match the backing fabric. I found a piece for the front that matches. Rocky did not get yelled at because I know it was an accident. He was chewing his rawhide bone on the bed, and a corner got in his mouth.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM

My dog chewed a hole in the couch, foam and all. That was tricky to fix -- a new use for quilt bat scraps. But everytime I look at it I have to smile. Dogs don't know the difference, and they do get up close and personal with the things they love or have familiar smells. Your quilt is beautiful, and any way you patch it you will remember that beautiful dog you rescued and how much joy it brought to your life. That's what a quilt is for, isn't it? Comfort and memories. That will make the quilt that much more precious to you.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by butterflywing
i would make 4 new .5 squares and put them properly together, turn under a .25 seam allowance, then blindstitch them over the dog's mouth, er, over the ruined 4 patches,
haha
Ditto! Love your sense of humor.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by djclare
Thank you everyone for your advice. What I really didn't want to do was repair it and then discover there was a better way to have done it. I want the front to look the same, so it doesn't make me want to weep with regret every time I see it, but yes, the back can tell the history!

JJs, you mention getting the seam ripper out and removing the squares/triangles, but I'm not confident about how to slot them back in afterwards... any further advice?

Also, if I patch on top, do you think I can just leave the rough edges underneath?

Oh and just one thing about the dog debate! I have only had a dog for 18 months (husband wanted her!) and I would have totally agreed about "what people put up with" comment, but its amazing how having pets, like having children changes your mind!

In this case, she is not a wild destructive dog. She's nearly two and it's been a long time since she chewed something she shouldn't, which is why I was abit too complacent!

Her name is Macy and this is her, being a quilter's companion, dozing on that very same quilt, while I did the binding...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iDRYn85l0d...h/IMG_6299.JPG

I will post again when the repair is done, so you can all inspect it!
Reminds me a little of my Trixie (in avatar <-----)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:04 AM

I would do several appliques on the quilt at random. The large daisey fabric would be nice to start with. I would make all three pieces using the flip and stitch method and I think it would be beautiful. By the way your quilt is beautiful! :thumbup:
Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 PM

I have a Quilt my grandmother made for our 25th wedding anniversary . My sons girlfriend got off with it and her dog chewed a hole in it. As My grandmother had already passed away because this happend 10 yrs later I made a Label with her name and that she made it for me and the year and slipped stiched it over the hole. Didn't blame the puppy blamed the ownr