Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with rag quilt >

Help with rag quilt

Help with rag quilt

Old 01-10-2014, 08:33 AM

Yes, I do the same. My cuts are very close too.

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I have used cotton to make rag quilts and it works fine. However, I do make my cuts closer together.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I have so many 8 inch denim squares cut up for a rag quilt. now to decide what fabric to use with that. Your suggestions of fleece and flannel sound wonderful as it has been so doggone cold. But, knowing me I won't get it done til the weather breaks and one of the kids would lay claim to it before I got it on the bed! I have never made a quilt that I got to keep. ever. Gramma may have to put her foot down on this one! or maybe I'll make a few small ones for my pups first. Either way I'm going to start one as soon as I get dinner started. You folks are such good coaches and teachers and cheerleaders-all rolled in to one!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 AM

If I had some lime green corduroy, I'd send it to you...

You should post a pic of your rag quilts. I'd love to see them.

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Mine are super simple. I use the width of the fabric for strips across. I have used all sorts of finishes and fabric contents, Different flannels, quilting cottons, duck, corduroy, denim, pillow ticking, tried some formal wear wovens but they are a pain in the patoot. Most of my rag quilts are from reclaimed fabrics. Sheets & curtains and dust ruffles. Right now I'm looking for a lime green corduroy to match a homespun pink & green plaid dust ruffle I reclaimed a couple weeks ago. going to be very pretty if I can find what I want for the other fabris.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:12 PM

So obviously I am a newbie to quilting; the black and white rage quilt was my very first one and the alternating black and white backing drove me crazy. I obviously did not know the difference between flannel and fleece; you all have been so helpful to my first posting.

Since I can not find St. Louis Cardinal flannel (unless I cut up my husband's pajamas which would make for lots of unhappiness here), could I use the fleece material to make a log cabin quilt with a flannel backing?

Thanks so much for all of your help.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
If I had some lime green corduroy, I'd send it to you...

You should post a pic of your rag quilts. I'd love to see them.
since this board was redone a few years back, I am not able to post pictures. Sorry
Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ninalea View Post
So obviously I am a newbie to quilting; the black and white rage quilt was my very first one and the alternating black and white backing drove me crazy. I obviously did not know the difference between flannel and fleece; you all have been so helpful to my first posting.

Since I can not find St. Louis Cardinal flannel (unless I cut up my husband's pajamas which would make for lots of unhappiness here), could I use the fleece material to make a log cabin quilt with a flannel backing?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

You could-----------but

I'd not try a log cabin myself. I'd try larger squares, more on the order of 10". And remember, the fleece will not ravel. It will curl a bit however.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:28 AM

Thanks; I think it's best not to use a rag quilt and try to find a way to use the fleece in a more traditional quilt. Does anyone have suggestions for a very simple quilt that would work with the fleece and use stitch in the ditch for quilting?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

All good tips...Thanks...
Old 01-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ninalea View Post
Thanks; I think it's best not to use a rag quilt and try to find a way to use the fleece in a more traditional quilt. Does anyone have suggestions for a very simple quilt that would work with the fleece and use stitch in the ditch for quilting?
HOw about big STC fleece with alternating blocks of red or black or even a check or plaid of red, black and white
Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 AM

Flannel is all I use also. The flannel is very soft