Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help settle an argument >

Help settle an argument

Help settle an argument

Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM

The confusion is in her mind. Collage refers to the various objects that are applied to the surface (or appliqued, to use the French word). It's a mix. If I add cream and sugar to my coffee, it's a coffee collage, regardless whether I stir it with a spoon, fork, or my index finger.

Your issue sounds like one of integrity: will you align yourself with someone who is selling something using misinformation? Clearly, it's not merely her pride that's the problem (and it is), but her lack of truthfulness. I'd use the words "integrity" and "honesty" and "truthfulness" (or their antonyms) in a private conversation with her. If she refuses to admit that selling something as something it's not, I'd part ways with her. You have your own reputation to uphold, and if your friend can't support that, is she really a friend?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 AM

Absolutely Zozee and prior posting on "collage." Please find the official definition at the bottom. As to your friend, first, let her enjoy the blessing that she has enough time to do her preferred method. Indeed, needle turned is beautiful, but so, so labor intensive. I prefer to get the look via very lightweight interfacing sewn completely around the fabric's right side, cut out with a very narrow seam allowance, slit the interfacing and "birth" the piece, carefully poking out points and corners, etc. and ironing flat. A nice blanket stitch or narrow hem stitch with barely discernable thread and it's hard to tell the difference.

I think your "friend" has a need to be appreciated and is making all kind of effort to get her skill acknowledged. Sad.

As to the collage definition, pass the responsibility of it to Webster, but do share with your friend:

noun

1. a technique of composing a work of art by pasting on a single surface various materials not normally associated with one another, as newspaper clippings, parts of photographs, theater tickets, and fragments of an envelope.

2. a work of art produced by this technique.
Compare assemblage (def 3).

3. an assemblage or occurrence of diverse elements or fragments in unlikely or unexpected juxtaposition:
The experimental play is a collage of sudden scene shifts, long monologues, musical interludes, and slapstick.

4. a film that presents a series of seemingly unrelated scenes or images or shifts from one scene or image to another suddenly and without transition.

I think her life is somewhat empty. Help her fill it up in a positive way and I believe she'll settle down a bit. Bless you for handling this and may you have a wonderful class full of choices.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:23 AM

Just wondering? What does she call all the quilts that are designed and sold as "fusible applique", like McKenna Ryan's kits and designs? Why has she taken upon herself to be the one who defines exactly what "appliqué" is in the first place? Yes, she needs to be educated.
BTW, there is no argument here, she is just wrong.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:28 AM

I feel your pain. It's clear that you care about her opinion and her friendship. It seems that her opinion is strong and she boldly - maybe without realizing it - disparages your work.

Have you ever told her that her opinion on this particular subject hurts you and you feel it demeans Your work? I think that her discussion with the shop owner was out of line, especially since it seems you were not there during the discussion.

Mutually acceptable terms: perhaps defining the class as teaching several techniques for fusible applique would work for the two of you?

Is it possible to have a heart to heart discussion with her where you gently tell her that her opinion is noted, but you disagree with it and please never speak of it again. Ask her to respect both your work and your reputation when working out a class schedule and content with a shop owner, especially when you will be teaching/co-teaching a class for the owner.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-12-2018 at 02:21 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 02-11-2018, 11:46 AM
mac

There was a time when only hand quilting was considered the only way to quilt a quilt. Machine quilting a quilt was considered cheating, Harriet Hargrave helped to change all that.

As time goes on and more and more people find new and creative ways to do the same thing -- we call this progress. As they say, "there is more than one way to skin a cat." Of course, not that I would ever want to skin a cat, just saying...
Old 02-11-2018, 12:10 PM

You might want to suggest to your friend that 'applique' is an umbrella term under which there are several types of methods. She knows that there are other methods of applique than the one that she likes to use, such as hand whip stitched, or machine zig zagged. The method of applique your friend is doing is 'needle turn applique.' Your method is 'fusible raw edge applique.' I've also seen plenty of raw edge applique that doesn't employ any fusible interface.

Here is another example: people use 1/8" satin ribbon, or yarn, or cotton floss to stitch flowers, and call all of the methods embroidery.

Someone could say about one of my pieced quilts that it's a 'collage of color.' I would agree; my quilts are a collage of color-- but that doesn't necessarily mean that my quilts are collages. The argument you have seems to be just a disagreement about semantics. English is a language with a plethora of descriptive words!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
... Sounds like she is a purist who believes appliqué should involve some sort of sewing. Otherwise it’s just fusing. ...
Here's a very interesting comment!! I hadn't thought of the situation from a purely sewing viewpoint. It makes me think that marketing plays a big part in our perception of what comprises applique-- because do we think it is applique simply because fabric is being used? Simply because we are buying the supplies from a LQS/JoAnn/a sewing department? If we are fusing other materials, like paper or vinyl, why is that called collage instead of applique?
Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 PM

She is using a confusing at best, incorrect term at worst to describe your classes. This will lead to the students being confused as to what they are going to be learning in the class. I do a lot of raw edge appliqué and none of it has been what I call a collage. If she is going to teach the class she needs to use the commonly used terminology on the techniques you are teaching. I have NEVER heard raw edge appliqué referred to as collage and I have read lots of articles and books about it.

This not only affects you, it affects your students. If this is the area of your expertise, you should have the final call on terminology. This lack of using correct terminology reflects badly on you two as teachers. I would possibly take a collage class because it’s something I haven’t done before ( and it sounds like neither of you have done this either). I would not be happy if I took a collage class and found out it was raw edge appliqué since I’m already very proficient with that.

Print out this thread and show it to her. She is being disrespectful to you and misleading to her students. Good luck.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 02-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

A very good reason why I don't attend classes or any kind of groups. Seems to always have at least 1 snob in the group.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:15 PM

Have you told her how her words make you feel? She may not understand what her words sound like, especially if she isn't meaning to sound that way. I would start there. You post that you both are dear friends, if that is the case and you explain to her how you feel she should make an effort to not make her friend feel like less then.

If you are engaged in a business venture I fail to see how her putting your methods down makes any business or financial sense, especially considering if she as the class co-instructor doesn't value her product (the co - class) how can she "sell" other people on it?