Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help settle an argument >

Help settle an argument

Help settle an argument

Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 PM

not by business, but I can't help but wonder why she wants to co-teach a fusible applique class when she doesn't think it's applique???
That being said, I co-teach a beginners class and our applique class includes needle turn, turned & machine sewn, & fusible raw edge----we teach that the basic process is the same with some differences in the prep and finish. Good luck--this sounds like it could be an unpleasant experience if there is already such difference of opinion!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Applique

Through most of my 80 years, I have been quick to criticize. I'm trying to do a better job (if that is the term) of accepting whatever others do without criticizing them. I hear your frustration and I believe that at some time in our lives, we have all been there. I guess I would suggest that you accept her lack of understanding of your work and try to approach her with kindness; and find a way to carefully explain to her that both ways are "applique", some people love to needle turn (I did that years ago). It is time consuming and yet beautiful. I, personally, prefer the "raw-edge fused applique, which allows me to do so much more; to accomplish so much more and to create a whole bunch of beautiful pieces. I do believe that if our predecessors, had access to fusing materials, they would have loved raw-edge applique. We are so blessed today with all of the new and useful tools and materials that were not available to our ancestors. If she continues to try and justify "her way", and if her friendship is important to you, try to ignore it. Otherwise, it will drive you crazy. In your class, you have the opportunity to offer both ways and allow the sewist to choose which she/he prefers. Very nice to have choices. Good luck. I'm sure you will find a way to resolve this without loosing a friend.

Last edited by yolajean; 02-10-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-10-2018, 06:47 PM

I prefer turned under, machine appliqué to raw-edge or hand-sewn. All are appliqué techniques. Just like piecing a quilt can be done my hand or machine but it is still called piecing. geesh....welcome her to the 21st century and the gazillion modern techniques designed to create the same result. We are so lucky to be able to chose the one we enjoy doing the most.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think she likes being an applique martyr.
Or an applique snob who thinks only needle turn applique is "real" applique.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:24 PM

I do fusible applique. Yes applique!!! You refer to her as a dear friend. I would wonder why such a dear friend would feel the need to denigrate my work, and need to be so unfeeling. Clearly she has not researched applique. I would ask her where she got her quilt police badge!!
Old 02-10-2018, 11:29 PM

Ohhhh My Goodness. There are so many techniques for any one application. I'm thankful for whatever technique they might be classified as; and her position of superiority is crap. Any and all techniques should be welcomed and encouraged to encompass every creative mind
Old 02-11-2018, 12:14 AM

I wonder why your friend feels the need to put other people down to make herself feel bigger. Shake it off. It's her issue, not yours. Don't allow her to make her issue one of your issues. If you can't you may need to put some distance between you two.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:00 AM

Your dear friend needs to go back to art school or get a dictionary/encyclopedia and learn the difference between collage and applique. Depending upon the context, one uses applique to create a collage!
Old 02-11-2018, 03:23 AM

Some more musings from another 80 year old. I am amazed at people who want to protect their territory at all costs. Yes, applique used to be needle turn and perfection was tiny stitches that buried themselves and were invisible. It was in the same boat as 10 quilting stitch per inch. Both slow. Now we have marvelous machines and lots of products that fuse and stabilize and allow lots of expansion of artistic expression. Most recently, along these lines, is the collage process. Wow, what artistic expression. There are several notable designers that have taken fusible applique to new heights and in new directions. I'm so glad. I have done one for a granddaughter and it was so much fun. I looked at some fabrics I had in a very different way so I could use them in a different way. Please let your artistic whims and expressions flow out to your class members. Let them find their own comfort level and fly to new heights, or, resettle back into a previous comfort zone.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:16 AM

It really doesn't bother me what she feels about the process. It is just that she is selling our classes to quilt shops and giving inaccurate information.