Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!  SMELLY FABRIC! >

HELP!!! SMELLY FABRIC!

HELP!!! SMELLY FABRIC!

Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Seal them in a plastic bag with a bar of deodorant soap for a couple of weeks. You need either Dial or Safeguard deodorant soap. This also works for books.

I bought a couple of bolts of a fusible interfacing from an auction that smelled of cigarette smoke and the deodorant soap took the smell out.
Thank you for this hint. I bought a book from ebay and had the same problem. I'm trying this.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

You can try XO from QVC. I had a terrible wet carpet oder and the XO is the only thing that got rid of it.

Just lay them out and spray them and let dry. Here it is.

http://www.qvc.com/qsearch/search.aspx
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

I have successfully used "odor-eaters" insoles containing charcoal to get rid of the musty smell in an old featherweight case. If you do this, you need to seal everything inside a plastic bag so the charcoal has a chance to absorb the odors. I think charcoal briquets or charcoal sold for aquariums would do the trick also, but they present problems if they touch the fabric. The insoles are not a problem and not messy.

While it would be a great idea to air the strips outdoors for a few days, you absolutely do not want to put them in sunlight. Fabrics fade in sunlight.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Seal them in a plastic bag with a bar of deodorant soap for a couple of weeks. You need either Dial or Safeguard deodorant soap. This also works for books.

I bought a couple of bolts of a fusible interfacing from an auction that smelled of cigarette smoke and the deodorant soap took the smell out.
Scissor Queen, that is good to know, I bought a used book, couldn't find a new one, and when I got it smelt like musty meldew but it was in purfect condition other than the smell.

I will try the soap.
Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM

I got a quilt back from getting it quilted and it was horriably smoky. I sprayed it with Fabree and layed it out in the fresh air.. had to do it several times but I finally got it out. Also bought a car that someone had smoked in I put a pan of unused coffee grounds in it. Stuck it in the car and shut it up.. takes the smoke smell out!!! that I guess is my tips of the day...
Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 PM

I don't know if you have a Sams store in your town or not but they sell a product call ordor-ban it comes in a gallon jug and u get a free bottle of spray of Odor-ban with it that is attatched to the gallon jug and u could just open the bag and spray a mist of it to your fabric and close back up do this a couple times and it will take the odor out but i use mine full strengh i don't add any water to it to make more they use this to clean houses that has had smoke damage from a fire and all sorts of uses it's the best thing i have ever use i even use it in my home and the church i attend when cleaning it can even be use for fabric softer in the rinse water when u wash clothes oh it has a tropical flower smell i just love this product and refuse to be without a jug of it i hope this helps i have brought things before and used Odor-Ban lots of times(:)
Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM

It's me,me again i use the Odor-Ban as a air fresher in my car to i just put some on a piece of cloth and tuck it away like maybe under a seat and it really smells good i mean to tell u it won't hurt your fabric at all(:)
Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseB

Scissor Queen, that is good to know, I bought a used book, couldn't find a new one, and when I got it smelt like musty meldew but it was in purfect condition other than the smell.

I will try the soap.
Thanks
One of my girlfriends smokes. She builds miniature doll houses and I've deodorized two of them so far. I put a bar of soap in each room and then tented them with a giant plastic bag for a month and the smell went away. The nice part is the soap doesn't add an odor of its own to stuff and you can use it for things you can't get wet. It probably took longer to do the doll houses because they're wood.

It may take a while but it does work.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Ok from a fellow non smoker let me tell you that sunning it will NOT get rid of the smell, fabric softner sheets make it smell like floral smoke. Soak them in the sink with some woolite it will come out just fine do not toss in the dryer let them air dry you will be fine just stuck ironing. Upside the smell is GONE and also they dont fray. I would soak, drain, soak again .. just my two bits. I live with a smoker just can not STAND that smell. My coats would get the scent when I visit my mom for one day. Anything in the suitcase had to be air hung out if only for one day so imagine if it was in the house for longer. Wash them you will be happier.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM

according to haley's hints, put the fabric in a box with saucers of vinegar or activated charcoal.