Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!  SMELLY FABRIC! >

HELP!!! SMELLY FABRIC!

HELP!!! SMELLY FABRIC!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM

There are a number of good suggestions for products to use, so I will only add a suggestion on a method to use whether you choose something wet or dry.

If using a dry product (baking soda or charcoal)simply place it in the bottom of a large plastic trash bag. If you choose something wet, soak a small towel or piece of cloth and place that in the bottom of the bag. Next hang the strips over the straight section of a plastic coat hanger. Then slide the bag up around the fabric and hanger, gather it at the top and tie in place. You can then leave it hanging and nothing should touch your fabric and damage it. Good Luck!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 AM

I gotta go with kmohan - notify the e-bay seller that you have a problem and ask to return them.
Penny
Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM

Since you bought the smelly fabric on ebay, don't forget to fill in the feedback portion, to warn other quilters. Most sellers state that their fabric is from a non-smoking environment, you just have to read their ad's very carefully.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM

You might try putting it in a tote with a bowl of water and a bowl of plain charcoal. The moisture will help the charcoal absorb the smell. Make sure to use charcoal that does not contain any lighter fluid. We used this method on a freezer that had fish smell BAD!. Cover with tote lid.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 PM

put it in a zip lock bag along with dryer sheets and see if the smell wont come out just dont let the dryer sheet touch the fabric cuz it could leave a mark on it or something ...
Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 PM

I personally have used vinegar to remove undesirable smells from fabric. If all else fails you could also try using a little ammonia mixed with water. I have used ammonia in the laundry to take out the smell of mildew. Perhaps it would also take the smell of smoke out too.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
You can try taking the strips apart and letting them sit in the sun outdoors. And fabric softener sheets in a plastic bag after that. Once you get the quilt made you can wash, wash, wash and everything will be fine. Just sew quick!

And no more deep breaths! Wear a mask!
Great ideas, I was going to say sunlight too, but don't leave them there too long.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM

i was going to suggest febreze and viniger also but was beat to it but then got to thinking maybe instead of washing the material in vinegar ( which i do believe would work) you could put the material (layed out loose) in a box and set a cup of vinegar in with it ,cover the box with a lid and make sure no one can bump into it maybe the smells would be be absorbed in the vinegar sorry this happened
i would also let the person you bought it from know what happened maybe they can make it right , i would leave a comment about the smell in my feedback about the seller so it doesnt happen to anyone else
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 PM

My husband was given a leather coat. A neighbor's brother had died suddenly and she give it to my hubby,but it smelled so bad of smoke . John and I had quit smoking back in the 70's . Well we found that if you place it on tumble cycle in the dryer with dryer sheet and tennis balls it will take the smoke out . For an added measure he sprayed it with fabreez , and retubled it again. I would put the rolls in a mesh bag. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by momto4
I would try something like febreeze fabric or something else that is made for fabric that is an odor eliminator.
Definetly fabreeze and seal in plastic back for a few days