Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!  SMELLY FABRIC! >

HELP!!! SMELLY FABRIC!

HELP!!! SMELLY FABRIC!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:30 PM

This worked for me, I got a paper pattern on e-bay, very old from the 80's it smelled so musty. I put in a dryer sheet in between the papers and kept in closed plastic bag for a week,
I am working with the pattern now and all I can smell is the dryer sheet. If that doesn't help, try just soaking the fabric no agitation as this would make it fray and try using fabric softener......Good Luck Carol Miez
Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 PM

I don't know if the following method works for cigarette smoke, but it works for "musty." I put some old quilt squares in a plastic bag with a dish of unused coffee grounds, sealed it up and left it sit for a couple weeks. No more smell! Good luck. The deodorant soap sounds like a good idea, too.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 PM

There is a store in St. Louis, MO called The Container Store(they are on line) and they have a product made of lava rocks. They are amazing. It can take animal smell out of a garage. They are reusable and can be revitalized every 8 mo. or so. They are $10 a bag. I would purchase this product put the jelly roll in a plastic bag with the lava rocks(they are in a mesh bag) for a few days and it should come out fresh or even just lay them on top of the lava rocks. They are well worth the shipping and cost. I have several bags I use. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM

How about Odoban. You can find in in the laundry section in SAMS stores. I use it in laundry for sweaty clothes that I can't seem to freshen, especially in the summer time. It comes in a spray bottle and a one gallon jug for a refill. I love it.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM

You can also try putting them in a zip lock bag and put in the freezer for a couple of days. This is what I do when I have purchased a vintage book with mold, it works. I kills all the germs.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM

I don't know if anyone suggested it, but you can get charcoal and put that in there. The charcoal that you would use in an aquarium. Just put it in a little pouch you made out of fabric, then toss the pouch in a bag with the fabric. Wait about a week and you should be good.
I've also used the soap and fabreeze too...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 PM

I inherited some fabric that smelled of smoke and put it in bags with unwrapped Safeguard soap, within a week the smell was gone. Worked well.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Baking soda works well to take out most odors. Try placing them in a baggie along with the baking soda.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM

Sorry to hear that.

I would make a complaint to e-bay and to the seller and demand my money back.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 AM

I have not read all the responses, so I apologize if I am repeating anyone. If you decide that nothing else works and you want to wash the fabric, Start with gentle handwashing, of course. For drying, I've heard that a salad spinner can be used to partially dry small pieces of fabric, then drip dry the rest of the way. This should help limit the fraying involved in washing/drying in the machine.

My LQS owner was telling me she has heard from so many people that buying quilts on line isn't worth it. The quilts are many times smoke-laden or damaged.

Good luck with your little project!