Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help: stiff quilt >

help: stiff quilt

help: stiff quilt

Old 06-29-2018, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

I swear, I don't know what that man is thinking! I think he means that it doesn't flow like a hand quilted one. it's back to hand quilting for me from now on. off to the laundromat this weekend with a bottle of Downey.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:07 AM

You have spoiled him with drape of hand Quilting! Storm at sea - epp? Why not piece by sewing machine- just wondering....
Old 06-29-2018, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Lynnie, do you know what kind of batting was used in the quilt? While I love the definition Hobbs Polydown gives the quilting I do know that particular batting tends to not have the soft drape you are most likely accustomed to with hand quilted quilts. Be careful with too much Downey, it is loaded with chemicals. As a LA quilter who does use quite a bit of Polydown (as well as many other battings) it has been my experience that use will soften up the quilt and make it more drapey. I have also found 80/20 blends and even all cotton tend to be a bit stiff until they are used a while with lots of scrunching up and wrapping yourself up in them. It is like when you buy a brand new pair of jeans. It usually takes a few wears and washes before they are soft. Also, think how much you handle a quilt when hand quilting. All that handling is making not only the batting more drapey and pliable but also your cotton fabric. I think JenniePenny is spot on in her comment. Taking it to the laundromat and doing several back to back washes with Downy may not give you the desired drape and may change the look of your custom quilting job drastically. You may want to make this particular quilt a show piece rather than a functional piece.

Edited to add, congratulations on your ribbon! I too would love to see pics of this quilt.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:53 AM

If DH is used to the feel of a hand-quilted quilt, I can see where he would be aware of the difference. Maybe he will get used to it after a while. Congratulations on the award!
Old 06-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure washing will help. It has worked for me in the past.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

so now on my Storm at Sea, I WILL be hand quilting it. i'm doing epp because it's accurate, I bought the papers, about $125.00 worth of papers, and it will take me long to do. I have NO where to put anymore quilts, so if they take long, I get to quilt as long as I want to. thanks everyone.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:52 PM

Congratulations on your win! I'm still inspired by you, but still haven't started EPP yet. Just need to finish up 2 more projects and then maybe.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:52 AM

Congratulations on your win. I think your new project sounds great and I know you will enjoy it. Doing handwork, whether it is embroidering, quilting, etc. is a good complement to machine work. Like others, I am sure washing will soften your quilt.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:37 AM

Lynnie, congrats to you. I also love the softness of hand quilted quilts, and agree with your comment about no room for any more quilts so make quilts that take longer to finish. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:03 AM

My granddaughter and I made a quilt for her parents more than 10 years ago. I was asked to repair it a few years ago, but now they wanted me to repair it again. I said it was too far gone; at least the top was, so I gave them a new quilt. They said the new one was too "hard", and wanted their old soft quilt back. So I made a new top and will use the old back and batt to redo it. The back is partly poly, so that lasts forever.