Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Question about quilt pattern #1

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20

    Question about quilt pattern #1

    Hi,
    My mom wants to sell her quilts. So, I was wondering what the quilt pattern is on this quilt see 1st pic.
    Also, there are some water stains on the backing of the quilt see the last 3 pics. Thank you so much for your advice.
    Best Regards,
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images





  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Tn
    Posts
    2,526
    This is a lemoyne star. Others will offer tips on cleaning the stains.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20
    Thank you for identifying the pattern.
    Rob

  4. #4
    Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    5,048
    Blog Entries
    37
    go to a quilt shop and get some Restoration--follow the directions and make sure that you lift the quilts out of the washer carefully so no stitchs pop or aged fabric tears--then lay flat to dry--no NOT hang or run through dryer as the batting may be old and clump and the fabric may shred when hung. Nice quilts.

  5. #5
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,953
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would use Retro Clean. It is available from Amazon, but here is their website with information about what it is and how to use it: http://retroclean.com/retroclean/

    I assume these quilts have been washed in the past? If they have not been washed, the dyes may bleed if the quilt is soaked. If they have not been washed before, I would take them to a laundromat and put a single quilt in one of their large front-loading washers with Synthrapol. Wash in cold water, remove immediately from machine (you do not want damp fabric sitting on damp fabric for very long, as dye can get transferred). Dry on medium or low (not hot!) at the laundromat. If that does not take the stains out, you can soak in Retro Clean.

    Whatever you do, do NOT use a washing machine with a central agitator. Those central agitators are very hard on quilts. Also, do not use a domestic front loader. They do not use enough water. A domestic top-loading washing machine is okay if there is no central agitator. If you use a top-loader, the best way to wash a quilt is to fill the tub with water and soap (or Retro Clean), stop the washer, add the quilt, and push down periodically with your hands. In other words, hand agitate the quilt. When washing is finished, drain and spin. Spinning is usually okay for a quilt. Add rinse water, hand agitate, drain and spin out. Use at least 2 rinses to get all of the soap out.

    Edit: I looked at your posting history and found out that these quilts were collected from your parents, with some being from the 1980's and some older. You do need to be very careful cleaning these quilts. Are you thinking of selling on eBay? You may not need to wash them at all, as many of the quilts for sale there have stains. You just need to include the stains in the description and photos. This would be less work for you, and people who buy quilts on eBay generally will know how to remove the stains themselves.
    Last edited by Prism99; 03-10-2018 at 07:48 PM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I would use Retro Clean. It is available from Amazon, but here is their website with information about what it is and how to use it: http://retroclean.com/retroclean/

    I assume these quilts have been washed in the past? If they have not been washed, the dyes may bleed if the quilt is soaked. If they have not been washed before, I would take them to a laundromat and put a single quilt in one of their large front-loading washers with Synthrapol. Wash in cold water, remove immediately from machine (you do not want damp fabric sitting on damp fabric for very long, as dye can get transferred). Dry on medium or low (not hot!) at the laundromat. If that does not take the stains out, you can soak in Retro Clean.

    Whatever you do, do NOT use a washing machine with a central agitator. Those central agitators are very hard on quilts. Also, do not use a domestic front loader. They do not use enough water. A domestic top-loading washing machine is okay if there is no central agitator. If you use a top-loader, the best way to wash a quilt is to fill the tub with water and soap (or Retro Clean), stop the washer, add the quilt, and push down periodically with your hands. In other words, hand agitate the quilt. When washing is finished, drain and spin. Spinning is usually okay for a quilt. Add rinse water, hand agitate, drain and spin out. Use at least 2 rinses to get all of the soap out.

    Edit: I looked at your posting history and found out that these quilts were collected from your parents, with some being from the 1980's and some older. You do need to be very careful cleaning these quilts. Are you thinking of selling on eBay? You may not need to wash them at all, as many of the quilts for sale there have stains. You just need to include the stains in the description and photos. This would be less work for you, and people who buy quilts on eBay generally will know how to remove the stains themselves.
    Yes, I am thinking of selling on ebay as well as facebook yardsales and craigslist. Thank you for the suggestions. Take care. Rob

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    go to a quilt shop and get some Restoration--follow the directions and make sure that you lift the quilts out of the washer carefully so no stitchs pop or aged fabric tears--then lay flat to dry--no NOT hang or run through dryer as the batting may be old and clump and the fabric may shred when hung. Nice quilts.
    Thank you for the directions, instructions and the product name and where to obtain it. Best regards, Rob

  8. #8
    Super Member SusieQOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    9,216
    I've had great success with RetroClean.
    Also- just a thought here- I wouldn't list on Craig's list. You won't get anything for them there.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Belen, NM
    Posts
    1,310
    A few sellers have vintage quilts on Etsy. I have no idea how many they sell.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
    A few sellers have vintage quilts on Etsy. I have no idea how many they sell.
    Thank you for the advice

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20
    Thank you for the confirmation and the advice.
    Rob

  12. #12
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,446
    You won't get much for them on Ebay either. It's a buyers' market.

  13. #13
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    34,302
    If it were me I would take a chance and wash them myself.

    Good luck with whatever you do.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    You won't get much for them on Ebay either. It's a buyers' market.
    I knew that would be the case after seeing the amount of competition. However, I feel like I have to try multiple places like ebay. I will also try local trade guide too.
    Thank you for keeping it real for me.
    Regards,
    Rob

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20
    Thank you for your advice and for the good luck.
    Regards,
    Rob

  16. #16
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,446
    Quote Originally Posted by rknarr3 View Post
    I knew that would be the case after seeing the amount of competition. However, I feel like I have to try multiple places like ebay. I will also try local trade guide too.
    Thank you for keeping it real for me.
    Regards,
    Rob
    In my experience, Ebay is good for things that can be described with a key word that people can search for, Coach purse, Micky Mouse watch.

    Quilts and other vintage linens do better in a place where people can see them in person. Are there any flea markets in your area where you can rent a booth for one or two weekends, that would get a lot visitors?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    20
    When I was there and when I go by via car I know of one but I never see any customers go there.
    I thank you for the advice. I will have to further investigate. Thank you.
    Regards,
    Rob

  18. #18
    Super Member ILoveToQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire & Maine
    Posts
    2,547
    Do you have any auctioneers in your area? You may do much better if people can actually see the quilts in person rather than only online. Auctioneers generally charge a selling fee and can help you with what the quilts are selling for in your particular area. Good luck.
    Anita

    The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The other Milwaukie, Oregon
    Posts
    1,895
    I don't know anything about selling vintage or heirloom quilts. Around here we have antique shops and malls, lots of little vendors in one large building. Are they a good selling place?

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,358
    Unfortunately, I don't think you will get much money at yard sales.

  21. #21
    Super Member jcrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Posts
    2,783
    Blog Entries
    7
    Go to your LQS with pictures of a few of the quilts you want to sell and a note telling who made them and what year about and the prices you want for each. I bet they’ll let you put them up at their store. I also believe you’d have a good chance of selling them there and at a decent price because we quilters know what a quilt cost to buy the fabric and the cost to make it with our hard labor.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.