Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help/suggestions

help/suggestions

well I'm finally getting around to posting this without tears in my eyes this past febuary I had to put my beloved cat down he was with me for 14 wounderful years I miss him so much,so now I want to make a pillow using these fabrics and his picture in the center the picture I ordered from spoonflower and is good quaility looks much better then my picture of it,and was only $5.00 plus $1.00 shipping for a swatch about 8x8,but have no clue what to do any suggestions would be very helpful I am open to anything and pretty sure I can make any block at this point I was thinking strip piecing four/nine patches please help thanks should I use others colors maybe I have too much grays I'm so stumped right now thanks everyone
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I just found a pic of a cat that I had enlarged in black and white. I will try to use that and do applique (fused). your colors of fabrics look good. that's a lovely photo. I happened to purchase a pillow with Puss N Boots face on it about a month or two before we lost our Loki. he was 17 years old and orange tabby. The pic on the pillow looks very much like him. Good luck (())
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Not sure, beautiful fabrics!!!! Such a great picture of your fur baby!!!!

How about a wide French braid border around your cat's picture? You could alternate the lights and darks of the gray to make a gorgeous "frame."

I know of your pain. It's been 2 yrs since we lost our beloved Poppy, and I still tear up thinking about him--almost every day. But I would advise you to first go to your local animal shelter and adopt another kitty--preferably an older one because they are so often rejected for a cute little kitten. Give your home and love and see it returned ten-fold. You will still miss your sweet pet, but the pain will be eased by the care you will lavish on a new buddy. This is what we did, and we've not regretted for a moment. You can work on your pillow and love a new kitty at the same time. Hugs to you.

Power Poster
    Pretty cat - my condolences to you - my old cat had to leave this year, too.

I am so sorry. Your design really depends on how large you want the pillow to be. Or you might consider a wall hanging instead of a pillow, since it would get less wear and could be hung in any room. You might add some greys that are a little lighter, and maybe a touch of red (not much) to give it some spark. I hope you will show it when it's finished, such a nice tribute.

I think the greys could be softened with some taupe.
    Love my cats too.

Perhaps a narrow border around the picture of a yellow-green or a color that reminds you of his eye color. Very handsome boy.

I'm so sorry, I understand your sorrow. He is a handsome boy. Your fabrics are beautiful and will give you an elegant monochromatic look if that is what you desire. The French Braid is a great suggestion to frame his picture. For many adopting an animal in need honors a beloved pet, not to replace, but does comfort.

Good idea with the pillow. I'm so sorry for your loss - we lost the last of our two elderly yorkies earlier this year (Molly). The other one we lost last year (Bailey). They were sisters. When we lost Bailey last year we waited to see how Molly would do and ended up getting another small dog - a Coton de Tulear, 4 years old, who was originally a rescue by the previous owner. We were so happy we did that as it gave Molly a companion, and something to watch. When we lost Molly this year (almost a year to the day after her sister died), we went right out and got Bella, a 5 year old rescue Silky Terrier. Those two absolutely love each other, and Bella has only been with us about 2 1/2 months. We still mourn our 2 babies, but now we have 2 new babies to pamper and love - and they SO appreciate us...we see it in their eyes everyday. Rescue an older cat -- they will thank you every day!

What a beautiful cat! Your pillow will be beautiful too. I understand how much you miss your cat. Hard stuff. Sorry that I have no suggestions, but you will figure out the right thing, I am sure.

Dina
    Last edited by Dina; 07-06-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: add sympathy

Blog Entries
    Oh so sorry for the loss. I would do a nine patch ie nine lives with the picture in the middle representing his 10th life.
    Finished is better than a UFO