Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! >

Help!!

Help!!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM

Karen, Love the quilt colors. It is very pretty. When I stitch in the ditch, I meander aqnd it shows but I give my quilts to people who are thrilled to have one that's been hand made. Just keep ast it, the free motion, and it does get easier.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
I think if you can get a walking foot you will notice a huge difference. My quilting friend who is brand new to quilting was having the same problem and was getting discouraged. I convinced or to get a walking foot. She has mad 12+ quilts in about 8 months now and she was a brand new quilter.

She now believes in the walking foot.
I need to get a walking foot too
Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 PM

You might also try a quilt as you go design. I have arthritis in my hands and can't grip the fabric tight enough for a full sized quilt when I am quilting. I usually construct my quilt in smaller sections and quilt them and then sew it together. I do the main body first or block by block, then attach the borders and quilt them. A good pattern book for this type of quilt is written by Eleanor Burns I believe. Her log cabin book or quilt as you go are both good. I like this method as you aren't fighting all the weight of a big quilt. Also, are you rolling your quilt ends up tightly? I find that I don't even have to pin if it is rolled good. And batting makes a difference. I think poly batting causes it to bunch and buckle more than cotton. I use cotton-80 % cotton and 20 % poly.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:14 PM

have you tried the warm and natural batting its thiner and easier to work with also there is such a thing as a summer quilt that does not require any batting
Old 02-21-2010, 09:10 PM

I think you should do more meandering- and I think you've got it secure enough that you could take out more pins so your hands aren't getting so chewed up?
Good luck! Can't wait to see it finished!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 PM

i know you have tried all the things suggested but i have two more one is fyi and that is when your piecing quilt make sure you stitches are not to small (tight) it will keep it from laying flat. the other thing that makes a big difference is i use the gloves that have a grip finish then i can keep the area i am fmq smooth with out a lot of mussel because i have arthur the gloves help me move my quilt without getting tired too soon it comes out nice and smooth.
good luck
hugs mema
Old 02-22-2010, 05:38 AM

Spray Baste. June tailor at Walmsrt seems to b the cheapest i've found. Right around $8
Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Thank you all so much for the wonderful sugestions!! I have tried many/most of them. I now have all my blocks quilted just inside each seam. Now, what is the rule of thumb as to how big of a space you need to quilt? Thank you! ~Karen
Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

That info should be on the package the batting comes in...some are every 4 sq inches, others can be further apart... I can't wait to see your finished quilt :D:D:D