Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Washing flannel >

Help! Washing flannel

Help! Washing flannel

Old 04-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Quite honestly I would have a go at it without any prewashing (and this from a die hard prewasher!). Make the quilt, quilt it fairly closely (no more than 2" spacing between quilting, I would go even closer) and then wash. Robert Kaufman is usually really good quality fabric and I bet this flannel won't shrink much more than any other of RK lines. Additionally once all put together and quilted the quilting will help it to not shrink all distorted. I say make the quilt out of these precut strips without any prewashing and let the chips fall where they may. I bet it will be fine.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I have "prewashed" smaller pieces of fabric like that lots of times. I just fill a large bowl or sink with HOT water and let the fabric soak an hour or so. I think sometimes I have added a bit of detergent and swished with my hand too, but not necessary. I then dump out the water, let the fabric drain till it is not so heavy and drippy, then just put them over hangars and let drip dry. I think your plan will work great.
I think hand washing like this is best for small cuts and strips to avoid lots of fraying, flannel and regular cotton.

this is how I handle small pieces of fabric - it does work -

It is a bit time-consuming and a bit messy - but - for me, well worth the time and effort.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bernamom View Post
I'm kinda new, but if it is all the same flannel, wouldn't it be easier to wait until the quilt is done and let it do all of it's shrinking in the final wash. It should all shrink at the same rate, since it is all from the same line??? Right? Still learning.
One would think that would be true - but from my experience with "regular" quilting cottons - shrinkage can vary even within one line.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:01 AM

I never pre wash flannels or pre cuts..they ravel and it is a pain to iron. The fabric company's even recommend that you DO NOT PREWASH.

I love flannel quilts and I sleep with one every nite.

I have been quilting for over 40 yrs and also I am a longarmer. I make my flannel quilts, quilt them, bind the and then wash in cold water. The quilt all shrinks the same and I have never have had any issues.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnutt View Post
I never pre wash flannels or pre cuts..they ravel and it is a pain to iron. The fabric company's even recommend that you DO NOT PREWASH.

I love flannel quilts and I sleep with one every nite.

I have been quilting for over 40 yrs and also I am a longarmer. I make my flannel quilts, quilt them, bind the and then wash in cold water. The quilt all shrinks the same and I have never have had any issues.

I agree. I wouldn't prewash and I never do.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:45 PM

I am a dyed in the wool..(ha,ha)..non-pre washer.......as stated, once made into a quilt it will be fine........IF I have a fabric of any kind that may be bleeder, I will cut a bit, soak in cup of hot water...that determines if I use or not......but that's just how I've been doing it for a longtime........
Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 PM

I think your plan sounds fine, ManiacQuilter2. That's going to be a beautiful quilt!
Old 04-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I have "prewashed" smaller pieces of fabric like that lots of times. I just fill a large bowl or sink with HOT water and let the fabric soak an hour or so. I think sometimes I have added a bit of detergent and swished with my hand too, but not necessary. I then dump out the water, let the fabric drain till it is not so heavy and drippy, then just put them over hangars and let drip dry. I think your plan will work great.
I think hand washing like this is best for small cuts and strips to avoid lots of fraying, flannel and regular cotton.
I agree with this advice! Should work well for you.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

First love your fabric. 2nd do you have any friends who can wash it for you? You could agitate a little by stirring with a broom handle then pick the fabric up, then drop and repeat. Then, if you can, use the shower head to rinse it all. With the warmth of your room it will dry in no time.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:30 PM

I have yet to prewash my flannels or any other fabrics. I have not had any bleeding or large shrinkage either.