Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Washing flannel >

Help! Washing flannel

Help! Washing flannel

Old 04-16-2016, 12:27 PM

I am not a pre-washer of any fabric.... I love the look of the quilt as it is washed and does the shrinking. I have made many flannel quilts, and after many years of use and washing not one of them has had any issues, and none of them washed and dried 'out of shape'
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 PM

The only fabrics I prewash are deep color batiks. I just don't want to take the time to wash, dry & iron. Plus I like the the look of quilts after washing.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bernamom View Post
I'm kinda new, but if it is all the same flannel, wouldn't it be easier to wait until the quilt is done and let it do all of it's shrinking in the final wash. It should all shrink at the same rate, since it is all from the same line??? Right? Still learning.
I'm wondering the same thing. I understand that it shrinks differently in each direction, but if the quilt is done, quilted, and bound (using flannel on the back also) before it is washed, shouldn't the shrinkage be fairly even? I have made the baby blanket from Missouri Star Quilting that uses and 30" and 40" square of flannel to make a blanket with a border and mitered corners. I wash it after it is done and it comes out fine. I do use 33" and 43" blocks. You could make it just a little wider and a little longer (hopefully there is enough fabric) and when it shrinks it will be the same size.
Possible??
Old 04-17-2016, 10:19 AM

I have a personal preference for quilts that have fabrics that have not been preshrunk. However, I've seen flannel that is pretty thin and has loose weaving that I am sure would shrink far more than a couple of percent. You might try just washing a small square like 6 inches, stitch a line or pink around the outside so it doesn't shed too much, and throw it in with your regular wash and see how much it shrinks. Then you can decide whether or not you need to preshrink your fabric.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 AM

I love working with flannel. My rule of thumb is buy 1/8 to 1/4 yard more than needed. Hand washing or machine washing before you cut is almost a must. Then when you finish your quilt and do the final wash your flannel will shrink at same rate if at all.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Seems to me there was a post on here recently about washing jellyrolls or jelly rolls, never sure if that is one word or two. A salad spinner was presented as an option for getting out excess water. Years ago I read a similar article in a quilting magazine.
I believe I seen this Salad Spinner post too, and as luck would have it I found the exact Salad Spinner at my local Ross store and purchased it as well as used it with great success on the same day!
Jeri