Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help! What should I do??

Check your seams in the center. Looks like you might be ending your seam by taking in more than the 1/4 inch. Seam accuracy is very important. Squaring it up isn't going to make it lay flat. Jan

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lots of good tips here, but just make sure you press them before you square them up. I'm taking a beginning quilters class and we're being told to finger press and then press with the iron to make sure we do not have hidden folds in the fabric. Good luck - but I think your quilt will be incredible. Love the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    You may be disappointed with yourself, but I sure do like the blocks! It will be astounding when you get it together!
    I agree - the blocks are beautiful. You were working with triangles. That is a difficult task. Even if you have to take some of the blocks apart, fix it now. The blocks will go together so much better.

Maybe put sashing between them in both directions?

I feel your pain. I have the same problem myself. I think I have done a good job with cutting, sewing, etc and then find the blocks are not the same size. I am working on a quilt now that has the same problem. It is frustrating and maddening but all I can say is I have completed a quilt for my younger sister who nearly cried when she received it and tells everyone she knows you need to come see my quilt from my sister. That gives me the encouragement to continue and remember that this too shall pass.

Blog Entries
    Press the blocks first, then cut them all to the smallest size you have.. This would be yours easiest way to go. Nice looking blocks. Let us see your finished project.

Blog Entries
    I am like you, my blocks never come out the right size, I guess I don't measure right, or my pressure foot is not a
    1/4 inch. But I just cut them down or put them in a pile and when I have enough of that size i make a sampler quilt........
    Quote Originally Posted by tutt
    Thanks for the advice. I hope this works out, I'll post when finished! I knew I could count on getting fast and goodhelp from y'all.
    :thumbup:

Relax :thumbup:
    I would square up the smallest blocks too. Then PRESS don't iron. If you iron you will distort the blocks since they are on the bias. I think your blocks turned into a quilt will be gorgeous, really just relax and go slowly. It'll be wonderful when you get over the hump.

Blog Entries
    Love the fabrics you chose for this block! I've been quilting for years and I still come up with a block or two in every quilt that isn't the perfect size. You'll learn to punt ;)

Blog Entries
    By all means,even it up. It is gonna look so pretty when it's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    sweetie, it was not you..it is all those triangles..was bound to happen...

did you wash your fabric? If not, then you can just measure the smallest and cut them all down..
    IF yes, then spray them with water, and BLOCK them out with the iron, then measure the smallest and cut down. You might find that after they are blocked, they won't be so bad! :thumbup:
    I agree

Once you quilt it, it'll look great anyway. Don't fret over little glitches, learn from them and move on.

Isn't this the greatest board? All the great tips and support? We've all been there and some of us have had that very thing happen. Your quilt will be beautiful, square them up and think about the other suggestions as well. At the end of the day it will be gorgeous!

Square them you will be happy that you did.

Definitely get them squared up before moving forward. If All the blocks are as bright and pretty as the one pictures, it will be worth the time and effort!

you have some really great colors in those blocks, follow the advice from this thread, square up the blocks before you go any further.......gina

what sharon said !!

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries

This is going to go up on my wall...love it!!

Don't quit now! It's all part of the learning curve. You're learning lessons you'll never forget. Fabric choices are good - forward ho. You'll be rewarded with an eye candy quilt. Slow down - the old carpenters rule of measure twice, cut once - measure once, cut twice - works in the quilt world too. Oh, that old College of Hard Knocks, always offering new courses. Here's to graduating at the top of the class!

Love your fabrics!

Add a 3 inch border to every block. Then, measure the blocks. Cut everything down to the smallest size. The blocks are gorgeous, you don't have to have everything the same size. Put black borders on half the blocks and multi-colors on the rest. Then, when you cut them down, they will sort of float.

What if you made them different sizes....add larger border to some smaller to others and others don't add any to them!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2