Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Here I go thinking again!

Cool

Here's a thought - how about making the quilt top & quilting it & then add the vinyl backing, sewing just around the outside edge. That way you wouldn't end up with tiny holes thru the vinyl that would let moisture in & may eventually ruin your quilt. I like your thought best though about giving him a larger piece of vinyl to put on the ground BEFORE he lays the quilt down.
    Dance like no one is watching

Blog Entries
    You can get those flannel backed table cloths that are in the picnic isle at joanns and use that as your backing. it really works great. and you can just lay it on the ground and still wash it.
    vinyl might be to bulky,
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Don't know if you could use this idea, but the ladies made a rain coat out of a shower curtain.
    sewitalltv.com/episodes/series_200/episode_210.html

Rethink this a moment any type of plastic will be difficult to clean, why not try a nylon raincoat fabric of some type. Actually my mom left me a lot of that type of fabric however limited color choices. Easy to clean resists water.

Hancock Fabrics has some vinyl coated fabric for raincoats in colorful prints. I think it's 60" wide. That would work for the back of the quilt and it's obviously meant to be sewn. I have used a WalMart soft vinyl shower curtain to line make up bags I make. It is harder to sew with. I found that it helped to use a foot made for vinyl or leather and a stretch needle and stretch stitch selection on the machine. Good luck! If you do make one with a vinyl back, please show it to us when completed.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I have started a project just like this. I have a small picnic blanket that I was trying to duplicate but in a bigger size and make it look like a quilt on top. Picnic blankets have nylon on the bottom, which is much more managable and easier to wash than vinyl. The trick is to not have that much quilting on the bottom because as others have said, the wholes from the needle and thread going through will let water and dirt into the middle of the quilt. There are two ways to go about doing it:

If you want just a simple grid spaced quite large: Pick a pattern for the pieced top that will allow this. The last border of the quilt should be made with the nylon. Then add the batting (also have to find one that will allow minimal quilting) and use the nylon for the back. Quilt with a simple grid or something so that you won't have too many wholes in the back. Use the nylon for the border also.

If you want more quilting: Make any quilt top you want again using nylon for the last border. Then sandwich as usual using a thin batting and a basic muslin or something for the back (it will not show). Quilt everything however you want except the outside nylon border. Do not quilt that part. Then add a second bottom of the nylon. The first muslin bottom is only there to help quilt it. Now if you have a relatively small quilt, you simply add the border on and that is what holds it all together. That way there are no wholes (other than around the very edge) for water to get in. Yes the nylon is not quilted to it but if it is small then it won't really be a problem. I have seen many done like this. If it is a larger quilt (something more than lap quilt size), then re-quilt the whole thing (top, batting, muslin, nylon) but only with a basic grid or something and very very far apart, 1 -1.5 foot grid spacing is plenty. It works best to plan this out ahead of time so it doesn't look funny. You can quilt on top of quilt lines you already did or add more in. Whatever you want. And it doesn't even have to be a grid. It can be a few small stiches here and there just to hold the nylon to the bottom.

If you don't have too much quilting going through the nylon and you plan on using it on the ground mostly in grassy or dry areas then you can use it just like that. But if you really want to make sure it is waterproof you can spray the bottom with waterproofing stuff (can't think of what it is called at the moment). It is the same stuff you can spray on coats to make them waterproof. Places like Cabellas's or Sportsman's Wharehouse have it and I think Walmart too in the outdoor/camping area.

Hopefully that made sense. I have seen it done and it really works well. Good luck!
    Sabrina

Forgot to say I have seen the nylon at Joann Fabrics. I believe they called it Sport nylon. They also sell ripstop nylon but that is so thin that it would not hold up long. The Sport nylon is still thin but quite sturdy.
    Sabrina

I was at Joann's yesterday looking for fabric to make bibs waterproof. I asked about the clear vinyl. The lady showed me fabric she called PUL (don't remember what it stands for). She said it was fabric people use to make diaper covers for cloth diapers. She said it's waterproof. Don't know if it would work for quilting but you could buy a small piece and try it before you make a big project.

Last summer I found a link to somewhere that had a "picnic" quilt. I haven't made one yet, but it is on my list. The lady made the quilt and then attached snap to it. The other half of the snap she attached to a vinyl/flannel backed table cloth. That way the bottom was protected from the ground with the vinyl and the flannel side was against the quilt. When she wanted to wash the quilt she just unsnapped all the snaps and threw the quil in the washer.
    Dirty1mom
    Cleveland, OH

How about printing up a washing instruction and/or use sheet and including it in with the quilt..???

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
    I actually own this type of thing that was given to me by a company as a free gift. It isn't a full-sized quilt, but pretty big and rolls up into a tight roll then has a strap attached for carrying like a bedroll. I keep it in my car with the tire changing stuff but will dig it out and see what the quilting on it is like. The backing is more like naugahyde than vinyl and I don't think there's any batting inside.
    I have the same type of blanket which came with my Chevy Venture years ago (car's long gone, still use the blanket for outdoor concerts, etc.) The backing is more like a heavy ripstop nylon than a stiff vinyl - very pliable and foldable. The front is a fleecy fabric. It's not really quilted but just a few lines of stitching to anchor the front to the backing, bound (with the nylon) around the edges, velcro straps for rolling it up and and handles for carrying. Works great. Washes in the machine. I haven't tried putting it in the dryer, just hanging to dry. I'd much rather use this than a quilt I spent a lot of time on.

This old Girl Scout recommends getting a camper's "ground cloth" or one of the new foam pads from a sporting goods company, if the intended use is to put under a bed. If he needs a camping quilt for other purposes, it should be a utility style, one that can take rough handling. There is sturdy camouflage material available, (some water resistant) that might be suitable for the purpose.

I would worry about it taking forever to dry when you wash it and then maybe getting mildewed. With a vinyl backing, all the drying would have to happen from the front.

Blog Entries
    I would use denim for the backing. Then I would add some snaps around the border to attach the vinyl backing. Include a note on how to care for the quilt.
    The Quilting Bear

Quote Originally Posted by dirty1mom View Post
    The lady made the quilt and then attached snap to it. The other half of the snap she attached to a vinyl/flannel backed table cloth. That way the bottom was protected from the ground with the vinyl and the flannel side was against the quilt. When she wanted to wash the quilt she just unsnapped all the snaps and threw the quil in the washer.
    This is what I would do - that or some Velcro strips.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Somewhere on the web is a tutorial about a picnic quilt that is a top attached to some heavy oilcoth. It was a neat idea so maybe something like that would work for you. Oh here's the link --->

http://www.patchworkduck.com/2011/03...-tutorial.html
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Somewhere on the web is a tutorial about a picnic quilt that is a top attached to some heavy oilcoth. It was a neat idea so maybe something like that would work for you. Oh here's the link --->

http://www.patchworkduck.com/2011/03...-tutorial.html
    There is so many good idea on here it's hard to decide which one to use but after looking at this website site It got me thinking that her idea about the way she put it together was very good. But I also like the quick drying of the sports nylon so I may incorporate that into this quilt instead of the oil cloth.

The nylon would be great for several reasons, it holds heat, compacts smaller and is some what water proof and since he camps in the northern woods country close to Canada, I'm thinking the warmth would be an important thing. If a inner muslin fabric was used instead of the normal batting that would also dry quicker and yet give it the "quilted look" that I'm looking to achieve here. I had also thought about using the sports nylon for the quilt blocks as well but I'm not to sure how that would look or if that would be "over kill".

I'm keeping a list of all the suggestions here and from that list I will weight the pros and cons of each idea so I can figure out the "perfect" camp quilt. LOL At least I think I will.

How about using a shower curtain from the Dollar Store to throw on the ground...use it once...throw it away! I would probably wash mine and use it again, though!

Blog Entries
    LOL- we are talking about a MAN here- instructions?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by karate lady View Post
    How about printing up a washing instruction and/or use sheet and including it in with the quilt..???
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    My suggestion is to get a sheet of something good and waterproof, slightly larger than the quilt, and attach some cute button to it in the corners and (depending on the size of the quilt) in a few spots on the sides as well. Then attach little tabs to the quilt in the right places, with buttonholes in them- this means that the quilt can be used in any situation (without the backing buttoned on) and can also be washed, plus it means that it will stay in place on the waterproof backing, when waterproof backing is called for. (Maybe made a little barrel shaped bag he can roll the tarp bit up into to make sure it is identifiable as part of the set, and does not get misplaced/ loaned to his friend who is moving house, changing the oil in his car, etc?)
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Or back it with jeans...

Use a percale sheet. I backed a denim quilt with one and everything just shakes off when I pick it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2