Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
here a UFO , there a UFO, everwhere a UFO >

here a UFO , there a UFO, everwhere a UFO

here a UFO , there a UFO, everwhere a UFO

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gennynut View Post
I thought I had a few UFOs . Then I started to sort through my sewing stuff and I found 18 UFOs plus 8 sewing repairs to do! Anyone else in this mess. So where do I start!?
I just can't seem to keep my sewing room tidy. Right now they could do a whole show of Hoarders just on that room. Part of the problem is too little space, but that's not going to change. When I do finally clean it out, I find all sorts of stuff. I think if I ever win the BIG lottery (snowball chance in . . .) I could hire someone to come in once a week and tidy my room. How is that for decadent? LOL
Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 AM

With the prices of fabric going UP UP UP - UFOs are like gifts! The more you have the longer you can quilt without spending. Funny how we forget what the cost was originally when something has been in a bag half-done for awhile. In the meantime, you can wait for the great sales and 50% off coupons, etc. AND if you really don't like the look of the project anymore - cut it up & change it - donate it - use it for backs - get your juices flowing and UFOs suddenly look like the Pot-O-Gold!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 AM

I have been taking advantage of my LQS's open sew day on Friday. That is my day to sew and I don't schedule anything else that day. Have been whittling away at my UFO's since January and have finished 8 projects. Still a pile of stuff left to do but I feel less pressured knowing that things are getting done. I have been treating my Fridays like a job. I get there at 10, set up, work, have lunch for 1/2 hr., back to work and quit at 5. Of course I do take break time to walk around the shop and pet the fabric.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 AM

Join the UFO Challenge group on this board and start on one at a time. I started with the ones I knew I could finish, just needed quilted or the dreaded binding done. Then I am working on the easy projects that were cut out and ready to start, then adding in a couple of complicated ones in the mix. I have over 130, and my goal is 10 a month. So far, 20 done, five so far this month and only five more to go for March. The group is helpful and encouraging. Make a plan to meet your goal, the system works.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:10 AM

UFO's have a way of multiplying, I joined the UFO 2012 challenge and I have finished 1!!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gennynut View Post
I thought I had a few UFOs . Then I started to sort through my sewing stuff and I found 18 UFOs plus 8 sewing repairs to do! Anyone else in this mess. So where do I start!?
I know the exact same feeling. I was thinking that I had "almost finished" almost all of my UFOs (at least I had gotten the tops together) and then as I kept organizing and straightening, I've been finding more and more. At least in the last two days, I managed to put together a couple of simple charity tops (2 patch) for giving away. But, I think I counted at least 3 if not more scrappy quilt tops in the process--trying to use up 2" strips, and 1.5" strips. I think it is never ending!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 AM

After repairs, find a new home for some of these quilts. Think how many people need a quilt to keep warm because of our bad economics times, the tornado's and flooding where people have lost everything.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 AM
cjr

I thought I had 8 queen-king size, but looking for something I discovered 3 sets of finished blocks not sewn together. I set a goal for myself to have 8 at least pieced totally by June when all our kids will be here to celebrate our anniversary. I am very focused on doing this. I have finished the largest one an oversize king from the red, white & blue swap here last year. number 2 is on the dining room table in the process of being quilted, #3 is waiting for borders in the sewing room. I always have several things going at once. Inbetween I"ve worked on some small projects just to feel like I have really accomplished something and for a change of pace. By the way I only sew on domestic vintage machines. No long arm. I did decide to tie one, because I have no idea how to quilt it.

Good luck to everyone trying to eliminate UFOs
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 AM

I have way more than that, I just try and not worry about it. Sometime I will get to them.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM

How do I get in on the challenge?I haven't counted mine,but,I'm sure it's a high #.So,I should start with the one that is the closest to being finished.Well,thats a good idea.This afternoon I will finish one.Then pick out the next one.Yeah,a decision has been made.