Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Alabama

I'm new to sewing and want to learn quilting. I've been reading all of these great posts and learning so much. Thanks to all.

I have a new granddaughter coming in about 4 weeks and would love to make her the adorable rag quilt on the link below. I've ordered the white Minky dot (or is it light pink?) and have been looking online for the other two fabrics or something close without luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been getting my fabric from fabric.com and can't find it there.

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/swee...sjust4kids.com

Also, I have a new Brother XR-7700 and have been reading how helpful a walking foot would be. Does anyone know what kind of walking foot it takes? I know I can call Brother but thought someone might know.

I've just started and so far I've made her one rag quilt. After I learn to sew a straight seam (ha!) I plan to try a regular quilt. I fell in love with the Girly Girl fabric from Moda and have some sitting here tempting me.

Welcome from Washington. :D

welcome from SW Florida

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Cottondale, AL just outside of Tuscaloosa.
    That is such a cute quilt. Good luck. Were are you located? Close to me I hope, always looking for a quilt buddy.

Blog Entries
    Welcome, and be sure to visit Kaye Woods tutorials on YouTube- You will learn quickly from her. Also, try Missouri Quilt Company. They too have great tutorials online. Be sure to take pictures of everything you make and you may want to keep a quilt log to document the patterns, thread used, needles, templates, likes, dislikes etc. Great reference tool.

Welcome from Texas.

I don't know about Brother machines, but I use a walking foot on my old Bernina and it makes a big difference in feeding the fabric evenly.

Welcome from Oregon! Congratulation on the upcoming birth of your new GD! I read that you are new to sewing and have a new Brother XR-7700. I also read that you are familiar with rag quilts but you have only made one, as you stated. You are undertaking a huge challenge using the Minky fabric for a rag quilt. 1). You are new to sewing. 2). You have a new machine.

(Excuse me when I had to walk away; I was afraid the lightening bolts from the sky would strike.) Believe me, I have to keep my wording as to not offend anyone. (For anyone concerned about my content, I am copy/pasting this post into emails just in case I need it for my defense)

Unless you are severely underestimating your abilities or your confidence level, I believe that your choice of Minky will not bode you well. Many people do NOT have a walking foot. A rag quilt does not require a walking foot.

I realize this perhaps could be my last post, but I have spoken. I hate to see people wasting money on a fabric or an special foot that is just not right for their skill level. *Please see the above paragraph before you pass judgement on my opinion.

Hello and welcome from Kansas

Blog Entries
    Howdy

Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome from another Alabamian. Have you checked at Hancocks or Hobby Lobby , they both have minkee, they also have coupons that you can print off and use instore. Good luck in your endeavor . :thumbup:

Welcome from New York. Sorry I cannot offer any advice as I have never sewn on minkee. As NanaCsews2 suggests, keep a log for future reference. You will also enjoy reading it over in a few years. Congratulations on your future births of your GD. You will love this board.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A quick Google indicates this walking foot should work for you if you decide you want one.

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Foot-S.../dp/B001UBMDCQ

Hello and welcome from Tennessee.

saf
    Hello and welcome from the UK!

A big hallo from Western Australia. good luck with your minky quilt. I think you can quilt with anything, that's what they did way back in the depression era and earlier. Congratulations in advance on the arrival of your new granddaughter. I think she will love her quilt. As for the walking foot, if you can get one fine. If not, do what I did on my old sewing machine - I measured a quarter inch from the needle drop, and drew a black line on the machine bed. That was my guide for the edge of my fabric. Some people also put sticking plaster or something along the quarter inch line, to raise it up a little and make a ridge to guide the edge of your fabric. Anyway, hope you have lots of fun putting that quilt together for the little one.

Power Poster
    Hi from Ohio!

Where in Alabama are you located? I'm in Huntsville. Depending on where you are at you might be able to get in to a sewing group or take a class or two to give you a jump start ;)

You can probably get the walking foot online, at a Brother dealer or at any of the local craft or quilt shops. They are really common and a great investment. You can use it for more than just quilting too which is nice... they are absolutely invaluable if you are making something with several layers.

You will be up and quilting in no time at all! A rag quilt is probably a great way to start off since you don't have to quilt and bind it.

Welcome from Alabama, where are you located?
    I have never done a rag quilt but have used minky to make bibs.
    Private message me and I will give you the pattern information.
    this might be the place to start to try working with minky, ie" smaller scale.
    Nice to have you on board.

Welcome from another Alabama quilter....

Blog Entries
    welcome from MN

Blog Entries
    Hello, welcome from Oklahoma!

Howdy Do from Houston!! Grats on the new granbaby to the family.

Hello and welcome from Sylacauga.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I live in Anniston.

We do have a Hobby Lobby and I have seen Minky there. We also have a WalMart that has fabric. I just don't get there often.

I've read that Minky is difficult to work with. I just thought I might could handle little 5" intermittent squares and I just fell in love with that rag quilt!

I don't think I have time for a quilting class right now. I have watched videos from Missouri Star and used that information for my first rag quilt. I'm planning on retiring in a few months and then will have lots of time to do whatever I want (and can afford :) ).

I'll keep you posted on my rag quilt for my precious GD who I could meet any day now, although due date is in four weeks.

In the meantime, if anyone knows where I can get some fabric like is in the link please let me know.

Oh, as for the walking foot, I was reading online about my machine and it may have had one included! I'm going to look shortly. Errands first.

QKO
    Hello and welcome to QB, from western Nevada!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast