Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hickory Nut Hexagon Template >

Hickory Nut Hexagon Template

Hickory Nut Hexagon Template

Old 05-17-2015, 02:55 PM

Default Hickory Nut Hexagon Template

I was just getting ready to order this online, got to the final checkout and WOW! 9.50 for shipping charges! I would really like to have it, but I think this is a bit steep! If anyone has it, let me know how you like it. I would enjoy the quilt as you go with this.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

Check out another seller of this item. A few other online quilt stores have it available. I have something similar but it is not the bright green color, just plain clear acrylic.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:09 PM

Doesn't anyone else sell it, or something close, that has cheaper shipping? From what I see, it is a small hex with a larger hex behind it. (Smaller hex inside a larger hex.) Joann's sells a hex ruler, and their coupon would make it ever cheaper. Try google-ing it and see if there is something comparable. I am finding that a lot of the rulers out there have a real close relative.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:16 PM

Oh gosh, I am always deterred when I see high shipping. I also went there when I wanted to try Eddie hexes. I ended up just cutting the strip the size I wanted and used the sharon hultgren ruler to cut the hexes. Or you can use the 60 degree line on your ruler. Eddie has a nice tut here also.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ks-t27345.html
Old 05-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I have the small and large size. I bought them at the Hickory Hill shop. I do think the shipping is too high, they don't weight much at all. I paid the same shipping for a small package shipped from Canada! When shops get greedy with the handling fee that's when I say no thanks. I'm sending you a pm.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:58 PM

Ma, here is a tut on what I did when I was scared off by the shipping lol. I cut a six inch strip as I wanted a big one. 1. Lay you ruler with the 60 degree line at the bottom of the strip and cut your angle. 2. now turn the strip, lay the ruler 60 degree on the bottom of the strip and count 6 inches to the left and cut your second angle. 3. lay you ruler so the 3 inch mark on it goes up and down from point to point on the hex (see pic), this is half the size of the block and cut your third angle. Notice the 60 degree line at the bottom lined up with the patch 4. now do the other side remembering to put the 3 ins mark in the middle point to point. There is your hex.

Now I did this on fabric just now but I did the first one on paper first and the second part will show you why.

Second part: make a paper template just like the above fabric one. mark 1 inch all around the patch. fold the paper in quarters to find the middle and poke a hole in it with a large pin. Trace off the middle and that will be your middle patch. Fold that also in quarters and poke a hole.

So when you get ready, just cut your 6 inch strip and make the first hex, cut a 4 ins strip and make the middle hex, mark your middles through the holes you poked to line them up, pin and then follow the Eddie's tut.

Now if you want to learn about degree cuts the best books I found were Sharon Hultgren and her easy rulers. I used hers to make mine but you can also do this with just your regular ruler, like above.

I am glad I didn't get the templates, not only did I save my money but I think this way is way easier. Just cut strips and angles.
Attached Thumbnails dsci0008.jpg   dsci0009.jpg   dsci0010.jpg   dsci0011.jpg   dsci0012.jpg  

Last edited by Rosyhf; 05-17-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:53 PM

i like your tutorial Rosyhf
Old 05-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Here are some I did. I just did another cat one, the one on the right, it goes real quick once you have your pattern made. You can make any size just by the strip you cut, no limit....if you have certain pictures you want to put in the middle, measure and cut those first and then add an inch and do the outside strip. As you can see, I had this big flowers, so I cut that hex first, measure it and added the inch to cut the larger strip. This is really fun, especially when you can custom make it. Don't forget to add the batting the size of the inner hex. Do follow Eddie's tut on this tho, he makes it really simple.
Attached Thumbnails dsci0013.jpg  

Last edited by Rosyhf; 05-17-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:23 AM

Rosy he
thank you for your wonderful tutorial! I am going to give it a try. Your hexie a are beautiful!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:41 AM

Trying calling the store and negotiating the shipping. The price listed for shipping may be a priority mailing and sometimes they will go cheaper. Just my thought.