Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hickory Nut table topper

Here's a pic of a table topper I finished this evening, made with 1930s reproduction and ticking fabrics. It measures 20.5" x 12". It was made using a Small Hickory Nut template set made by Hickory Hill Quilts. The template set is basically a two-piece set that has a small hexagon that sets inside a hexagon ring. You use the outer ring "shell" template to cut the backing fabric and the inner "nut" hexagon template to cut the batting and focus fabric. Then you layer them and fold the edges of the backing fabric over the edge of the focus fabric and stitch down with a straight-stitch. You then stitch the blocks together with a zig-zag stitch.

Making these little blocks is addictive and fun once you get the hang of them. This topper is going to go on the bedroom nightstand. I need to get busy making another one for the nightstand on the other side of the bed now.

[IMG]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/...kory_Nut_1.jpg[/IMG]

That looks great, but difficult. You are so creative, how long have you been quilting?

That is really cute. And how do you manage to embed a picture in your text? I would like to learn that trick.

That looks fantastic...
    But I wanna know, how long have you been doing this and how many hours a day do you get to sew?
    :D
    Kirsten

OK-now my (blonde) head is really spinning. You lost me on the last quilt you did; this one really knocks me out. You do such great quilts-you always pick an interesting and different pattern. I've never seen this one before. Really nice work, Eddie. Thanks for sharing your picture.

Blog Entries
    That is really neat :mrgreen:
    Another GREAT job :thumbup:

Thanks for posting that. My husband's grandmother left a huge stash which I got some of. There were lots of squares of ticking and I've been trying to figure out what to do with them. Thanks for the idea!

That looks great Eddie. You do awesome work. :D :D

What a great table topper! You do excellent work!! How long have you been quilting?

Blog Entries
    What a beautiful and fun project!!! :D :D :D

Thanks, everyone. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Susy
    That looks great, but difficult. You are so creative, how long have you been quilting?
    I started back in May of this year, so about 5 months. I feel like I'm still a newbie. :)

This really is an interesting project. I love the fabrics. I bet it would be cute using a variety of borders other than the ticking.

This is really pretty Eddie. I would never have thought of using the ticking, but is well with those repos.

Really cool!! Nice to see something different, you sure have natural talent.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been waiting to see the completed project since I saw this on your diary. I just love it. There are so many ideas you could do with it.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Eddie this is beautiful! The effect is kind of like EPP. Sigh - bookmark it and add it to the loooonnng list! :shock: :D

And re the 5 months, I personally believe that you are the reincarnation of a LADY quilter who started aged 5 and died at the ripe old age of 109 having quilted for 8 hours every day of her life! I'm sorry, I admit it, I have issues that you got so good, so quick AND YOU'RE A GUY!!!! :mrgreen: I'm sexist, I know, I'm trying to deal with it! :lol:

where can we find the template set? Love this idea alot!!

Blog Entries
    Cool Eddie! I love your use of the ticking with this design. I'm visualizing your bedroom with the 30's fabric..and ummmm....I'm sure it doesn't look like what I'm thinking... :roll:

I just love playing with new templets and tools. THis is a cool one. So they are completely finished when you put them together, right? Kind of like a cathedral window block. Cool beans, eddie. I like the whole concept of it.

The repo fabric was a good idea and looks great with this type of blocks. Another winning thought, eddie. Your on a roll. I sometimes forget that you are so new to quilting. A natural at it.

Blog Entries
    Would love to see how it looks on the nightstand Eddie! You do such great work!

Thanks everyone.

The Hickory Nut templates are made by a local quilt shop here in Arkansas. They have a website ( http://www.hhqsewingcenter.com/ ) but it's pretty basic and doesn't offer items for sale. But I think they would surely do mail order if you contact them. They have an e-mail link on their Contact Us page. If they can't or won't, let me know and I'll be glad to go by there and buy a template set for you. By the way, they come in 3 sizes, small, medium, and large. I used the small set for the topper I did, which is about a 2.5" finished block from top to bottom. The medium set which I also have is 3.5" finished size top to bottom. Large set (which I don't have) is about 6", I think.

Here's a pic of the small template set:

[IMG]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSC_0157.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

The small set was $6.25 and the medium set was $8.75. Not sure how much the large set is, but thinking it is probably about $10. They do come with directions, and they are actually incredibly easy to do. They could be done by hand, but I did mine all by machine. But I think they would make a really good project to just sit and hand-sew as well. And they are much like a cathedral window block in that they are complete once you finish the block. You then just stitch the blocks together to make it however big you want.

Reall cute idea. Have a hexagon acrylic roatary cutting template I bought some time ago but never used. Could use it to cut main fabric and adapt it to cut the smaller batting and window fabric to use up more of my bits and pieces for more Linus quilts.

That is so cute!

Just visited the Hickory Hill site but most pages came up blank. The only products shown were their sewing machines.
    I would definetly be interested in the largest set. Would simplifiy making the Linus quilts.

Eddie, do have a link to these templates? I have tried to find them at Hickory Hill with no luck. Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast