Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In hiding???? >

In hiding????

In hiding????

Old 05-08-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
it took me a while to discover the "profile" area on the QB. I like to see where people are from, esp.when they are discussing the weather!!
Me too [figured out how 2 minutes ago]

:oops:
Old 05-08-2011, 04:16 AM

I, too, want a degree of anonymity when online. I don't post my last name, or my address, but there are plenty out there who do which scares me for them. I don't feel like anyone knowing that I live in NC is dangerous to me. Personally, I'm more concerned when I'm standing in a checkout line and the clerk asks me for my phone number to key into the register so I get "points" for my purchase in a store rewards program! Or handing a check over to a stranger for a purchase thereby handing them my name, address, phone number and other identifying information. Or buying online with a credit card. I've met a lot of wonderful people online that I consider dear friends. My life would not be the same without them.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 AM

I reveal my state in discussions from time to time, but not in my profile simply because everything here is searchable and available to anyone with internet access...doesn't matter if they are a member or not. My sense of security, however unrealistic it may be, far outweighs your curiosity.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:35 AM

I agree - it's fun to see where people are from. It's not like I am giving away my social security number.

The people on this board are great and I appreciate everyone!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 AM

By being "in hiding" may prevent you from receiving retreat announcements for your area on this Board. i.e. the NW Oregon and SW Washington group are in the stages of planning a spring quilt retreat at the beach. If we don't know you are from this general area we can't ask you to join in the fun.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 AM

What about the folks that post something other than their picture? That is odd too. Insecure?
Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
It's probably that many people are hesitant to disclose too much about themselves when they first join, until they get to know the site is really safe, the community of members is solid, and they feel comfortable.
I agree with that reason.. I monitored this site for several weeks and then decided it was okay. I'd like to know where you all come from cause my GF and I do a lot of bus touring. I would love to find out from you where the best shops are in your cities. We were within five miles of Keepsake Quilting on one trip but couldn't work out the timing to go visit.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 AM

I'm not sure how many people know this but these new cell phones are a bigger tracking device than this site they can track a young girl or anyone else right to their bedroom very scary
Old 05-08-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by butterflies5518
I too love seeing where everyone is from.
Me too!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 AM

When I first joined many years ago, I don't think there was a place to put where I was fron. I would be glad to add it now, but don't know how to do it. I am 75 can use the computer, can also send text messages, have a cell phone, use GPS syster, have an embrodiery machine so at my age I do well, but don't know how to get my city and state onto the Quilting Board. personally I am rather proud of myself. I also worked full time until age 72. So if I have offened you or anyone else on the board by not listing my address I am so sorry. I am fron Prichard, West Virginia and proud of it.