Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobbs Heirloom Batting >

Hobbs Heirloom Batting

Hobbs Heirloom Batting

Old 10-27-2015, 06:50 AM

Wool is more expensive BUT if you live in COLD country or gifting to a chilly-willy, it is the best. Like everything, look for sales!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 AM

Joe's mom, thanks for the info about Hobbs Tuscany cotton/wool blend. Sounds like I will like it too.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:29 AM

Which Quilter's Dream did you try? I prefer the cotton "Select"...just enough fluffy softness to show quilting nicely and oh so cuddly. I tried the "Deluxe" also, but I find it too heavy.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I prefer high loft poly batting. For charity quilts I bought a roll of Warm & White.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:55 PM

I like Hobbs 80/20 much better that Warm and Natural. The resulting quilt is not as heavy.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM

I long arm and use Hobbs 80/20 most of the time--but I REALLY love Hobbs Tuscany cotton/wool blend--it quilts so well and you get a higher loft with it--price is little higher, but for my customers that like a softer, higher loft quilt, I always point it out. My experience with poly's has been mixed--higher loft poly's just seem to cause me problems (user error probably) and the low loft poly's don't seem to have any advantage over 80/20 other than you get no shrink that causes that puckered look (but I like in my quilts).
Old 10-27-2015, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I also love the wool batting. I'm basting a quilt now with the Hobbs Tuscany cotton/wool blend. It feels just wonderful, so I'm interested to see how it compares to the pure wool. I'm thinking it might be my new favorite.
I used it in a lap quilt for myself about 8 months ago. I used the 80/20 poly cotton on the bottom and the 80/20 cotton and wool on top. The quilt is wonderful! Warm and it drapes nicely on the back of the couch and has great definition. I much prefer the way it feels on my hands when I hand it during quilting too compared to the 80/20 cotton and poly.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
Which Quilter's Dream did you try? I prefer the cotton "Select"...just enough fluffy softness to show quilting nicely and oh so cuddly. I tried the "Deluxe" also, but I find it too heavy.
I tried the Select loft also and it was better than W&N. However, it wasn't too much thicker so I definitely won't bother trying the request loft Quilter's Dream. I also thick Deluxe seems too heavy.

Right now I really want to try Quilter's Dream wool and Hobbs Heirloom cotton/wool blend. I found a king size QD wool batting on Fabric.com for only $10 more than a king size W&N on Amazon. That is NOT that much more when the batting will probably be cut up into 4 lap quilt sized pieces.

Thank you for your help!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:17 PM

Hobbs 80/20 Fusible was my 1st batting and only batting I've used. Even after a few quilts, I'm still happy with it. Maybe after I've made all my kids quilts & I can experiment with others & find something I like even more. As a side note about finding the brand of my mystery Long Arm frame, I can't post pictures of it yet, possibly due to them being too big to download here. If anyone knows how to make them smaller to post I will be eternally grateful!
Jeri
Old 10-29-2015, 07:39 AM

I agree, I would not like the QD Request either. I just bought the QD Wool to try also and the poly down, but I really prefer not to use poly. I buy King size too, so I can have more options on sizes! A queen will leave enough for a baby quilt too...Let me know what you think of the wool? It will be awhile before I have time to try it...

Originally Posted by FluffyPuppy View Post
I tried the Select loft also and it was better than W&N. However, it wasn't too much thicker so I definitely won't bother trying the request loft Quilter's Dream. I also thick Deluxe seems too heavy.

Right now I really want to try Quilter's Dream wool and Hobbs Heirloom cotton/wool blend. I found a king size QD wool batting on Fabric.com for only $10 more than a king size W&N on Amazon. That is NOT that much more when the batting will probably be cut up into 4 lap quilt sized pieces.

Thank you for your help!