Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobbs Heirloom Batting >

Hobbs Heirloom Batting

Hobbs Heirloom Batting

Old 10-29-2015, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
I agree, I would not like the QD Request either. I just bought the QD Wool to try also and the poly down, but I really prefer not to use poly. I buy King size too, so I can have more options on sizes! A queen will leave enough for a baby quilt too...Let me know what you think of the wool? It will be awhile before I have time to try it...
Yes, I will let you know how the wool batting is! I am ordering it tonight, and I should get it the beginning of next week. My lap quilt top will be completely pieced together by then so I will be ready to quilt as soon as the batting arrives.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:55 AM

I like Hobbs 80/20, I also use 2 layers... turns out perfect every time.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:37 PM

My wool batting arrived today! I will not be sure if I like it or not until the quilt is finished and washed.

It is definitely fluffier than W&N, about twice as thick, and more airy. The texture is almost between poly and cotton. It doesn't "stick" to the fabric as well as QD or W&N, but it does stick more than poly. I haven't quilted it yet, just basted it, but I will start the quilting process soon.

If it quilts easy and washes up good, I think I might stick with it. It has the loft that I want, good texture, and it's a good price. You have to be careful when you dry by machine. It says on the package to use an air dry setting or the wool will shrink, but it can be machine washed with cold water and dried.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:05 PM

Hobbs 100% wool is more comparable to a polyfil loft . . .but waaaayyyyyy better. And I've found it to be washable with no problem. My "go to" batting, however, is Hobbs Tuscany 80% Cotton/20% wool. The drape after it's been quilted up and washed, is just beautiful. There's not another on the market, in my opinion, that beats this one. I order it by the roll.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:09 PM

I use Hobbs 100% wool and love it for hand and machine quilting, needle glides right through. I have no issue with throwing mine int he dryer, but I also like the crinkly look you get of an old quilt. Right now I am making a quilt that I am debating what type of batting I am putting in it. So I will have to research since I don't like poly and I don't like a super high loft. I might try the Hobbs Wool Cotton blend on this one.

Threads
Old 11-04-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
The warm company has come out with a 100% cotton batting "Warm & Plush". It's about 50% thicker than W&N, but has no scrim so it needs to be quilted a max of 4" apart. I have used it and really like it a lot. Seems to have about the same shrinkage as the other Warm products.
I agree. I adore the stuff. It is heavy, but definitely is fluffy & quilts beautifully. I buy it by the 25yd roll. I pay $130 at walmart.com & that includes tax and free shipping (90"W x 25yd long). It washes very well. Does not flatten or shrink very much & I don't see the bits of seeds/branches in the W&P like I see when I work with W&N.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I agree. I adore the stuff. It is heavy, but definitely is fluffy & quilts beautifully. I buy it by the 25yd roll. I pay $130 at walmart.com & that includes tax and free shipping (90"W x 25yd long). It washes very well. Does not flatten or shrink very much & I don't see the bits of seeds/branches in the W&P like I see when I work with W&N.
Oooooh! I have been looking for a bulk roll of batting! I didn't try the W&P because I find the queen size to have odd dimensions for me to cut up for the usual quilt sizes I make. I will try making a baby quilt with the crib size and look into getting a roll! And think of a way to store so much batting...