Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It holds my pedal in place!

That's a good idea. I covered a 6x9 inch piece of 1/2 inch plywood with shelf liner. Raising the pedal 1/2 inch off the floor helps me not to kick it accidentally
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

I bought one of those rolls of rubber type shelf "paper" and cut it to put under the foot. That way it does not matter if it is carpet or floor. Cheap and functional

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    It depends where I sew. But at first I used the machine button and not foot pedal. Now I put that stuff you can buy to put on dashboards to keep still use same stuff for my hands when quilting. I also plac epedal against a solid leg of the coffee table . My other problem. With a foot pedal is .........how do you stop a dog going asleep on the pedal.
    I have the same problem with a cat built like Jabba the Hutt. But she's a purr machine and I love her.

I put an old pillow on the floor under my sewing table against the wall. The foot pedal pushes against that and doesn't go ANYWHERE. My serger pedal is backed by two boxes of "stuff" that are stored under the table anyway. It doesn't move either. When I take my machine to the living room to sew while "listening" to TV, I wind the cord around the table leg as suggested somewhere else here. I have to look for it often, but at least it isn't very far away. My 302A Singer in the kitchen has the foot pedal installed onto the inside cavity of the cabinet at knee level. This cabinet was custom made to my specifications in 1956. (It's large desk size, my machine is lowered into its bed, and has a wonderful amount of flat bed space.) I had been using my knee to run my mother's machine since 1943, and I really like this way. The pedal is always there. But now, no one has cabinets.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I love reading these comments. I could not stand chasing my foot pedal. For the last 4 years I simple press the start button and I'm sewing. I find I have much better control of my speed with the slide button. I had a lot of tension in my leg and my back when I used the foot pedal, because I was always stretching for the pedal.
    I love the start sewing button, the needle threading button, the cutting button and the needle down button. Yep, I think I have my dream machine. It took 50 years of sewing to be happy with this machine.

Blog Entries
    I love the car mat idea. I have some from the last car I totalled. Wondered why I have been saving them. Going to give one of them a try since I sew in a carpeted room and am always chasing my foot control. I keep my sewing machne on a fabric placemat so I can scoot it out of the way for trimming, etc. I don't have trouble with that scooting away like the foot does.

I have hardwood floors in my sewing room and I have tried:
    Rubber shelf liner
    Velcro
    Mousepads
    Shortening the cord
    'Feet' made by putting lumps of hot glue on the bottom of the pedal

AND I have a back on my sewing table so technically the pedal should hit it and stay there - instead it goes sideways.

GGRRRRRRRRRR

Pedal Grip

I found just the thing to keep my machine pedal from sliding from a vendor at out last quilt show. Are you ready? The name of the product is "Get a Grip" by Martelli Enterprise from Pensacola, Fl phone # is 850-433-1414. This absolutely works! I bought one for my 2 sewing machines and my serger.

Blog Entries
    I also have a pedal mat from Martelli that I love...prior to it I used Steady Betty, the pedal stayed on the mat , but it moved on the rug.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    My other problem. With a foot pedal is .........how do you stop a dog going asleep on the pedal.
    ...or insisting that the pedal is the only place to chew on his hoofie...or chew on toys on the leg connected to the foot that is operating the pedal...one way i have found...the right foot sews....the left foot wards off the doggy. helps to be dextrous though
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I have a small square of the cushioned drawer liner. I also have it under my machines to cut down on noise.
    :-)
    CAS

i have a wood floor where i sew so I cut the rubber shelving the size of a small mat. my pedal stays but also my other foot can go on it instead of the cold floor cause i am one of those who can't sew with shoes.but away from the machine need my slippers on, go figure. LOL

i don't know if the mat cuts down on noise or not. just got a newish janome 1600p off craigs list. pretty quiet. but if i am machine quilting...my machines always slide a bit. so i just routinely set up this way now. haven't tried quilting on the janome yet, pretty heavy machine, but on the pad anyway. i sew in d room on 1800's oak table. also don't want it gouged by machine moving. and..i also sew w the pedal foot bare...get in the "groove" and am up and down one slipper on one off as i pin up on wall and back to machine...forgetting to put slipper back on the pedal foot. sometimes that foot gets pretty darned chilled
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I use the ripply shelf liners that are like rubber. They come in different colors. You only need a small piece to put under the pedal, and it works on carpet or other surfaces.

Blog Entries
    Another solution that I haven't seen posted yet is to attach your foot pedal to the leg of your table, and sew with your knee, instead. I have an old Singer in a cabinet that has this option, it works pretty well!

I was forever chasing my pedal, and I finally run a couple strips of hot glue on the bottom of the pedal let it dry overnight and no more slip.

Quote Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
    oh i hope this thread gets a load of answers because i have been waiting for it my whole sewing life....

aileen of the toe grab pedal reposition
    We must have sister feet, I am also queen of the toe grab pedal reposition.

[QUOTE=Lyncat
    Originally Posted by stillclock
    oh i hope this thread gets a load of answers because i have been waiting for it my whole sewing life....

aileen of the toe grab pedal reposition
    We must have sister feet, I am also queen of the toe grab pedal reposition.

Lyncat: May I join your club? The Toe Grab Pedal Reposition I love it.
    Mavita
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Theodora View Post
    I finally found a product that keeps my sewing machine pedal from scooting away. It's made to stick on the dashboard to hold your cellphone. For just $8 I can finally know where that pesky pedal is all day. The only catch is that it won't stick on a carpet. I found mine at the local shipping business, but I bet they're available at office supply stores.
    Ihave a cheap computer chair mat under sewing table. works great for chair and placed pedal in rhe right spot traced out line and cut out. fits perfic never moves. makes easy clean ups with a broom. thread clipping and all. great on carpet and hard wood,even concrete. chair sets on mat can't move.Just move the mat to readjust pedal
    Fredwtb3........ Friendship and Love is the only cement that will ever hold this world together.

I cover it up
    Fredwtb3........ Friendship and Love is the only cement that will ever hold this world together.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have carpet and get frustrated chasing my foot pedal. I'm going to try each of the ideas til I find the one that works best for me.
    ShirleyD

i adore this place. just sayin'

aileen

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try the command strips.

Blog Entries
    it was nice to catch this thread. my traveling foot pedal is always moving. was reading each suggestion, and liked the waffly shelf lining, but i do already have extra waffly rug padding. and one has the extra folded back under the rug. well the rug is going to donate a piece of it for my foot pedal tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    I bought some of that rubbery shelf liner that comes in rolls. I didn't like it for my kitchen shelves because the dishes wouldn't slide in and out but it works very well for my foot pedal. I have vinyl planking floors.
    How did you attach it to the foot pedal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast