Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric? >

Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric?

Be Honest With Yourself (& Us)-Where Do You Actually Purchase Your Fabric?

Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

I have bought some fabrics at Walmart.Hobby Lobby,Joanns mainly. Some from Connecting Threads. I go to my stash and pick according to the colors I want to use for the quilt I have picked out or made up. I don't make heirloom or utilitarian quilts, I make them to be used.
I have about 25-30 quilts I want to keep right now, may change my mind at some point. I have 4 or 5 for our bed and plan on making a couple more.

I have given away much more than that to our kids, Grandkids and Great Grandkids.

Since they all have all they want I donate quilts to food pantry and now kids in Foster care.

I love to make quilts and no reason to store them if someone can use them.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:23 PM

Most of my stash comes from: Hancocks and Mill End Textiles, both now closed. Joanns, SR Harris (fabric warehouse), and a tiny bit from Walmart, and Hobby Lobby. Very little from LQS. I have ordered some panels and fabric on line, but not much. My quilting friend gives me fabric she'll "never" use. I give away quilts all the time. I love making them and make them to be used. Where the fabric comes from doesn't matter. I have only kept one quilt and about a dozen wall hangings. I have another quilt I'm working on just for me.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM

I have a huge stash so I mostly shop for go-withs. I do buy fabrics that strike me at Quilt Festival or occasionally from online shops. I don't buy much from Joann and have never bought from Hobby Lobby. I'm allergic to Walmart and haven't been to one in year despite living a couple miles from one.

I do have some silks that I bought that are reserved for wearable art because I don't like using them in quilts that are going to be used and washed a lot as all of my quilts are.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:01 PM

I sell most of the quilts that I make. I do machine applique and my stash is at least 75% batiks. I buy from my LQS which sells Hoffman batiks for $8.99 a yard (except widebacks). I also mail order from SewBatiks.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:11 AM

I love all the local quilt shops (LQS) and try to patronize all of them. I buy something.....even a box of pins...to keep them in business. I love going and looking and seeing what is going on. So I don't want any of them to close.

Of course, I am totally blessed as Lolly's, Yoder's, Zinck's, Spectors and others are my local ones. I also like the Quilt shop at Essenhause in MIddlebury, IN. But I also shop on line at MSQC, etsy, where ever, what ever.

Marcia
Old 11-17-2017, 04:10 AM

Iona, I am curious...you state you are in yearly production of some quilts but you don’t give them as gifts? Do you keep each of your quilts?

I have been leisurely quilting for about 7 years but I have yet to keep one of my quilts and the majority of the quilts I make have someone in mind to gift, unless it is for charity. Now that I have recently sold one of my retail businesses, I hope to make a few for home.

I am fortunate to have three LQS within 15 minutes of my home so that is where I get the most of my fabric. I also visit quilt shops when I travel and attend quilt shows. I have occasionally ordered on line from Connecting Threads and MSQ, and sometimes when I need large backing pieces.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:46 AM

Fabric.com and Hancock's Paducah.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:14 AM

I shop every where when I need fabric. LOL The closest places to shop for me are Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. They both have good and some not so good.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:15 AM

Like Cari, I also purchase my fabrics at JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart and thrift stores, but I also buy quite a bit of fabrics on e-Bay.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:33 AM

Since the Only LQS near me has downsized and now only sells sewing machines and notions I now shop either JoAnn s or online especially Amazon. I have a medium sized stash. A lot of my stash is fabric that I won from Fabshophop, or bought 10 or more years ago when I was still working and didn't have much time to sew. I never really understood the people who say to only use "quilt shop quality" fabrics. If you are a new quilter I think Joann's, Walmart, Garage sale, Goodwill, bed sheets, etc. makes more sense than spending $15 a yard. Or if sewing for kids or dogs or anyone! I hate to spend a lot of time and money making a quilt for someone who would just as soon buy a ready made quilt from Wal-Mart for $50. I've made a lot of things using cheap fabrics and they have turned out fine.

has downsized and only sells