Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs >

Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs

Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs

Old 01-17-2024, 05:40 AM

the nice thing about quilting is that everything comes back again if you wait long enough! I think about the giant Dahlia quilts as dated, but I am sure there is someone who loves them. Never made one myself.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:01 AM
mkc

Redwork is another that comes to mind.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:59 AM

I have that book! It has Storm at Sea - my favorite pattern!

I agree with the others that the color combos are more likely to look dated than the patterns themselves.

I like the OP's idea of making something new to live with everyone's cast-off items. I can't wait to see what you do.

My mom bought an unfinished sampler quilt at an estate sale that was clearly late 70's/early 80's based on the brown and pink color scheme and calico type fabrics. Mom loved the quilt after it was finished and used it til she passed away. Something like this would be right at home in your hand-me-down cabin.

https://www.quiltingboardcom/vbullet...d-t295249.html

Last edited by wesing; 01-17-2024 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:10 AM

Iceblossom I just ordered that magazine for the cover pattern
Old 01-17-2024, 07:31 AM

I'm glad I'm able to bring some quilting joy from the past to the current day -- I would love to see finished projects! I always liked it but never made one myself.

I started quilting in 1977 as a senior in high school, I wanted to make a quilt to take to college with me. That was before the rotary revolution... I was rather intimidated by the "little old quilting ladies", one of which I have become. There were some magazines but they were mostly pushing the "modern" quilt and I was more interested in the traditional art. That year I lived in the small college town of Moscow, ID. There was a fabric store but I bought my first quilt fabric from the Montgomery Ward catalgo. I did have a regular/weekly babysitting gig and had limited funds so I took myself to the Carnegie Library and found early quilt books. Those that weren't about history were mostly B/W block diagrams with no directions, measurements or even placement (alternate squares??) or anything. In some ways it was not easy but a really good learning experience of how to draft patterns and I found out early about graph paper!

My first quilt book was Ruby McKim's 101 Patchwork Patterns. Ruby was one of the newspaper quilt designers. I remember those still being published... lol remembering printed newspapers also ages me

I left Alaska in 1983. Before that as a college job I worked at a fabric store, so I was exposed to the entire store and not just quilting stuff. I also did garment construction and costuming back then... Some things just take me back, like that Better Homes and Gardens book. Gunne Sax dresses and lace also brings back a lot of memories. Like how expensive lace was!!

Anyone else remember TriChem paints and projects? I guess they are still around.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:05 AM

Mention must be made of the 80's colors of mauve, light green, peach. I made this quilt using inherited Thimbleberries fabrics. I suspect that the giver got rid of them because the colors were dated. While this pattern is fine, the colors well not so much :-)
Attached Thumbnails tb-baskets-1.jpg  
Old 01-17-2024, 09:42 AM

The correct link is Mom's quilt finished
Old 01-17-2024, 09:45 AM

Iceblossom, I so enjoyed reading about your history!
Old 01-17-2024, 01:44 PM

ekuw, the quilt did come out very nice. I like the pattern. Gawd...I remember Mauve and grey and pink. I had a small rug in those colors...1982.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:58 PM

Iceblossom, I agree, your story is great. Yes, I do remember Gunne Sax!

This thread reminds me of my other hobby...vintage jewelry. I have a little Etsy shop that sells costume pieces and it always surprises me what people like. I'm now a senior, so to me, vintage is something from the 40s, 50s and swinging 60s. An early Givenchy piece from 1952-1970 will have me swooning. His height, IMHO, was when he designed for the movie, Breakfast At Tiffany's. After all, Audrey Hepburn was his muse.

But, someone much younger loves, loves, loves that cheaply made stuff that the Givenchy company made in the 80s, or 90s...yuck! It's made so poorly and doesn't even reflect Hubert de Givenchy's esthetic. Go figger.

Last edited by tropit; 01-17-2024 at 02:00 PM.