Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs >

Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs

Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs

Old 01-16-2024, 07:12 AM

Default Hopelessly Out Of Date Quilt Designs

What designs are just not "cool" anymore?
Old 01-16-2024, 07:38 AM

Well.. what's cool to one person is a hot item for another.

I'd say that a lot of the 70s patterns that featured classic but HUGE blocks are just not made anymore. There was also a movement of using strips of colors (often poly blends) maybe 3-4" thick by a foot or so long, usually in earth tones but not always. You could manipulate the strips, turning them upside down or do other things like forming an arch or circle if you were clever.

The Better Homes and Gardens Patchwork and quilting book with the big appliqued (from double knit??) flowers on the front -- don't see modern versions of that one!
https://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-.../dp/0696013959

Old 01-16-2024, 07:56 AM

OMG, Iceblossom...look at those colors! I'm asking this question because I want to actually make some of these weirdo, "too ugly to make" quilts for my cabin. My design ethos for my place is that a cabin is where all of the family members dump their unwanted, out of style items. They may still love those items, but they're just not that cool anymore. Somehow, these fond, quirky items come together and find a loving home.

I'm not sure that I can sew with poly doubleknit though.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:56 AM

More than patterns being hopelessly out of date, I think it is more color combinations being hopelessly out of date.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by c joyce View Post
More than patterns being hopelessly out of date, I think it is more color combinations being hopelessly out of date.
Yes! I need to make an avocado green, pumpkin orange and bark brown quilt....maybe in the shape of a peace sign. I like that!
Old 01-16-2024, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Yes! I need to make an avocado green, pumpkin orange and bark brown quilt....maybe in the shape of a peace sign. I like that!
Remember to include some harvest gold, too.

Still like those colors. - but in small a.ounta.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:07 AM

I think that for the most part older quilt patterns from the early times, say the beginning of quilting to perhaps the end of the 1950's don't go out of style and are truly quilting classics.

The 'new' fab quilt patterns from the flower child era of the 1960's, the war years and times of the 1970's through the MTV times of the 1980's probably are not something that are going to be classics.

I think for the most part, quilters seem to be going back to the true classics of the Log Cabin quilts and classics from the late 1700's through the 1800's and the early quilts of the 1900's up to the 1950's.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:09 AM

I just ordered that Better Homes and Gardens book. I couldn't resist that "Flower Power" quilt on the cover. I found it used for under $5.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:14 AM

I had that book but it didn't make my move... here's a page from pinterest you might find fun -- what I was talking about with the color bars --

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/99853316722713684/
Old 01-16-2024, 08:19 AM

About 10 years ago, I found a poster of a hippy couple sitting under a giant redwood tree. It's titled "Love Forest." My DH made a natural, branch frame for it and it now hangs in our stair well. I should get a black light for it because it glows in the dark, if lit up. It's created in all of those colors that we just posted about. Everyone that comes to our house just loves it! I tried to take a pic of it this AM, but it's too dark to get a good shot. I'll see if I can find another one for sale online to show you.