Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hospital bed quilt >

hospital bed quilt

hospital bed quilt

Old 06-08-2013, 12:24 PM

Default hospital bed quilt

The information I received recently from the local hospital was 40 by 60 quilt with no batting and a flannel backing
Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by swizzy View Post
The information I received recently from the local hospital was 40 by 60 quilt with no batting and a flannel backing
Size sounds easy to make and flannel sounds cozy, but wonder how you can make a quilt with no batting??? Would you "quilt" the two layers?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 PM

One word of advice. DO NOT make them heavy. I make quilts for the hospice I volunteer at. I use no batting, but use fleece as the backing. perfect texture. If you make them too wide its very hard for the nurses as well as the patient to get around them. Some bed are diferent sizes so your best best is to measure the bed.

Also be sure to put name and maybe a phone number on the quilt so if it becomes misplaced it will be returned

Last edited by debbieoh; 06-08-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 PM

a twin size bed quilt is too wide for this hospital bed. She has it up against a wall and its so big, she disappears under it..lol Its size is 70x 90. She needs one that doesnt trip her up when she gets out of the bed.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM

your right the bed rails is what is stumping me. This hospital bed is up against a wall with the railing up on that side. The present quilt shes using is way to big. I just needed some ideas to the size of width to make her a little quilt.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Is the person thin or rounded?

If thin, I would guess the width of the mattress plus 10 inches (39 inch mattress plus 10 inches - 49-50 inches wide)

Length - My preference (I think) would be about 80 inches long (I sleep on my tummy - and hang my feet over the end of the bed - and like to be covered up to my ears)

If the person is very rounded, it might need to be wider.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM

It is sad but true that in some nursing homes things disappear. When my mom could no longer wear a bra I bought her tube top type item to wear. They all disappeared in no time. The day she died and I had to go and get her things from the nursing home they acted like I was going to steal the wheel chair while hauling out her things. I had to inform them that this was her personal wheel chair which we had bought. I also had to ask the nurse to give me the gel pad we had for the chair as the nurses had been using it. Sad when people take advantage of the sick and elderly.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by honeybee_2000 View Post
Has anyone made a quilt that would fit a hospital bed? I need some suggestions please for a quilt pattern that would fit this size of bed.

Almost any pattern can be adjusted to fit a twin sized bed.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
Dad is with us and using a hospital bed. The one he has is a long twin from Hospice and I have to use long twin mattress pads as well as long twin sheets. We are in FL and he prefers a lighter cover; right now crocheted afghans and light quilts. And, interestingly, he does not want to be covered past his hips except with the sheet. Oh, and not a lot of weight on his feet.

Am I having fun? But if it helps you, that's good.

Blessings, Pat

Interesting what different folks prefer. I've been known to lay folded up blankets on my feet for extra weight and then pull the regular blanket just to my waist or so. Other times, past my ears.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

A twin will work but you may want to consider a twin xl like they sell when kids are headed to college. It gives a little extra length. A friend of mine bought an adjustable bed and that is what she uses.