Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
household items used for quilting >

household items used for quilting

household items used for quilting

Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM

I use freezer paper as a stabilizer. You can iron the shiny side to the back of the fabric and then just rip it off when done. Works great for machine applique
Old 07-02-2014, 02:54 PM

One of the best things I've been told about and use is, the clear tubing cut thin enough to go around my filled bobbins to hold thread down.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Press and Seal to mark quilting designs.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:00 PM

coffee creamer containers make great water bottles to keep by your ironing board to fill your iron since they have a pouring spout. No spilling and you always have water handy.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:29 PM

I use a make-up brush to clean my machine. I use binder clips to hold my quilt to the table when I pin the top, bottom and batting together. I use salvages to tie up my tomato plants.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Plastic grated cheese bottles with screw on plastic lid. Half of lid can be opened to receive clips, open safety pins, etc.
Large plastic flat ties commonly found as closures for bakery products. Label cords for machine, light, etc.
Re-purpose the detachable trays from older tv tray sets. Stackable trays to hold a variety of block pieces.
Heavy duty commercial type baking sheets with rim to act as pull out tray for items in deep cabinet shelves. Cheap
alternative to pull out trays for lower cabinet usually found in kitchen cupboards.
Colorful empty ceramic flower pot to corral the remotes for tv and digital recorder.
Small rubber gripper square usually used for opening jars provides gripper for pulling needle through fabric.
Leather garden gloves in smaller sizes can be cut to become leather thimbles.
Travel jewelry case with zippered plastic compartments used hold needles, extra light bulb, screwdriver, cleaning brushes, machine attachments, and personal ID for each sewing machine you use.
Letter opener with small amount of razor visible to cut apart units when chain stitching sections.
Tissue paper to copy pattern.
Plastic covers from food items to provide template for circle and/or template material for applique.
Bonnie Hunter's tip for trimming plastic hotel key for drawing sewing line for bonus half square triangle.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
Hi all, I have to give a short presentation at a guild meeting about household items that can be used for quilting. I'm hoping that you all will tell me things that you use, especially things that can be used instead of a more expensive quilting gadget or tool. Thanks
I use a mail holder that hangs on the wall over my cutting table to hold small templates and rulers. The hooks underneath that are suppose to be used for keys hold my rotary cutters and scissors
Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I have found them at WalMart in the food section plastic storage bags.
My dollar store also carries them!! (some don't)
Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 AM

I use a wall paper seam roller to "iron" seams until ready to go to ironing board. Ironing board is across the room so I have to get up and move.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 AM

I use straight blades as a stitch ripper (when my daughter isn't around), a pair of rubberized gloves to grip the quilt with when free motion quilting, hair clips for binding or thicker seems, j-cloths for stabilizer under my button holes, and a carpenters square for squaring up quilts. Hope that helps!

I also use some of my quilting supplies to help in household projects.