Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
household items used for quilting >

household items used for quilting

household items used for quilting

Old 07-03-2014, 04:03 PM

I get the shipping cartons for blueberries and strawberries in the box bin at Costco. They are relatively flat--4 or 5" high and they stack. I can stack 6 or 7 high and have a separate layer for projects, thread sets, etc.

I put a memory foam bath mat under my machine. It absorbs vibration and is a great pincushion.

Men's trimming electric razors (or a hairdressers clipper with a 40 or 50 blade) can be used to frog (same as Peggy's Eraser) but lots cheaper.

I save clear packaging from who knows what to use with a Sharpie to trace designs. Much like using a photo album clear page.

Swimming pool noodles to wrap up finished quilts to take to show-and-tell. Wrap with selvedges.

Tyvek envelopes or Tyvek from the dumpster of a house under construction for art quilts. Paint on it with luminere paint and use a heat gun to scrunch it!

Magic Eraser to clean an iron.

Coloring books to get "cheater" designs for appliqué or art quilts---especially Dinosaurs!!!

Turkey baster to squirt water into iron…or a 2oz syringe!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I could only think[ATTACH=CONFIG]481082[/ATTACH] of one thing...I use a cat to keep my fabric from flying away!

Margaret

PS - sorry the picture is so big - I don't know how to make it smaller.
Whatever works! tee hee. And the cat is serious about his job, too!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Lately I have learned that you can use the small kitchen sponges with the scrubee on them to place in your hands and use them to grip your material when you are doing free motion quilting.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:31 PM

I use storage boxes that I buy at Sears for my specialty threads, needles packs, misc notions, buttons and all the small things that need to be corralled. I also have a small plastic basket from the office supply store to hold my markers, rippers.thimbles and other small stuff on the table top. I have some small storage drawers that stack and also a set of six pull out drawers that mount on the wall that I found at the hardware store that are great general storage. Hardware stores have lots of good, cheap storage stuff.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Oh, and I forgot one of my favorites. I wanted some pattern weights to used when cutting fabric so I went to Sears (again) and found some large washers. They work perfectly and cost next to nothing. Score!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:06 AM

I love that memory foam idea - will get one at Costco today.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:44 AM

I had to laugh this could be my cat big fat and lovable and looks justthe same.
he too would hold down my fabric but I don't let them in my sewing room, mind you he holds down the bed quilt down very well especially when I am trying to turn over, LOL
Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I could only think[ATTACH=CONFIG]481082[/ATTACH] of one thing...I use a cat to keep my fabric from flying away!

Margaret

PS - sorry the picture is so big - I don't know how to make it smaller.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 AM

Chopsticks, and bamboo skewers. A lap desk that is perfect for cutting out small pieces, A recipe or cookbook holder to have any instructions or pictures that I need in an upright position so I can refer to it often, Of course Freezer paper, waxed and parchment, a magnetic bowl to hold the metal bobbins in, A medical syringe with no needle to accurately apply glue, ummmmm, lets see, Can't think of anything else right now.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:37 PM

I have plastic sandwich lunch boxes with feet and other attachments with the name and model number of each machine. I have 7 machines. These stack very well and I don't have guess which machine they belong to.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Oh, BTW, I use empty medicine bottles for blades and bent or dull needles and blades, when about half full, I fill them with Plaster of Paris, so noone can get accidentally hurt when disposed