Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Housework

I alway say 'The mess will disappear once the project is done'. Now which project are you asking?

My MIL house was a museum and the kids could not touch anything! We stayed in hotels for visits. My MIL followed her house cleaners around to make sure they were cleaning to her standards. She had trouble finding more as so many never returned. At my folks house the kids were loved and enjoyed their grandparents. Mom and Dad kept a clean, tidy place, but let the kids get messy and even joined in the fun. Guess which my kids remember best?

Just wait patiently, soon we can open the windows and hopefully all the dust bunnies will go away. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
    I have the opposite problem...i CAN'T quilt with housework waiting!
    Does that mean I have a spotless house?
    Noooo, it doesn't. It's decent, but health makes me so slow, by the time I get the majority of the important stuff, theres no time or energy left.
    Interested to read what others say.

Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
    Yes, our houses do suffer once we find quilting!

I can suggest the FlyLady method. She has a group on yahoo. It is a group for those with fibro. It's a method where you divide up the house in sections and work on different sections different days of the week. She teaches how to short-cut house chores and gives lots of tips.

Use a timer, work on the house, then reward yourself with quilting. The quilting reward makes digging into the housework not seem like such a chore, cause in no time at all, you get to be back quilting.

When life tends to take over, try to get at least 15 minutes of sewing in each day. You will not feel quite as deprived and the little bits of sewing daily tend to add up by the end of the week.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to share.

Pam M
    I think I love you! I have fibromyalgia and this sounds great! I can have both???? wow!

My house is such a mess, all I want to do is quilt, or be on this board. I try to do a little of something but it really needs a good cleaning. One day.

Now that I've read all of the responses so far, I realize I'm not such a slob as I thought I must be. WE all just enjoy doing what we love. I've heard the expression that says, "You can't take it with you." Well that applies to many things: money, possessions, yatayatayata -- and especially dust. Oh wait, We will all be dust anyway.

I tease my DH and tell him that if I go before he does, his new wife can clean up after me. :o)!!

My daughter does not quilt, she doesn't clean very often either. I told her when I become dust just sprinkle my ashes all over her house and I will be around forever!!

I don't think I will worry about housework anymore. I will get done what I can in the mornings and that leaves the afternoons for quilting. Sounds like a deal to me.

Schedule your cleaning--I spend Thursday mornings cleaning bathrooms and bedrooms, Friday morning kitchen and living areas. That gives me all the other days to quilt.

Pick a very, very windy day...then open the front door and the back door and let the dirt, dust bunnies and thread blow away.

I clean the bathrooms and the kitchen and that about all the cleaning that I do, unless I have company and then I clean all the house, that only happen once a month, thank god that my husband keep up with the dishes, yesterday I din't do anything I quilted all day long.
    Gloria

i do try to keep the bathroom and kitchen in a reasonable state, but the rest of the house is one big dust bunny....
    gina

When our name is called and it's time to go meet our maker are we gonna say wait I didn't clean house or are we gonna say wait im not finished making this quilt for________ :) im thinking finish the quilt :)

Quote Originally Posted by carlasuewho
    How to eliminate housework:
    * Open a new file on your computer.
    * Entitle it "Housework."
    * Place it in the Recycle Bin.
    * Empty the Recycle Bin.
    * Your computer will ask you, "Are you sure you want to delete Housework permanently?"
    * Answer "Yes" and click the left mouse button firmly.
    * NO MORE HOUSEWORK!
    What a fab idea!!!!

I grew up watching my mom stress over a perfect and spotless home, life is short.... I will not be a slave to house work, Especially when I have to go to work at a paying job. Besides no one else seems to care lol.

Ummm what is housework?

i get my housework done in the morning then i do my quilting, so the faster i get it done the more quilting i can do in a day

If I took the time to really clean my big house that is all I would ge done. It only gets its share of my time--too many other joys in this short life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!t

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation
    Pick a very, very windy day...then open the front door and the back door and let the dirt, dust bunnies and thread blow away.
    I Love your way of thinking! :-D

jo

Where did you find a house keeper for 40.00. In Missouri they charge 75.00 to 125.00 or more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    I have several answers to this question. I have a trivet that says "My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy". When it crosses that line, I try to clean. I have also heard it said that nobody goes to a funeral and says "She was a great housekeeper, but they might say she made beaustiful quilts" Several years ago I bought a book titled "Nobody said you had to eat off the floor". Her premise was you won't get it all done. No matter what you do somebody else (probably with OCD) will see something else to be done. Soooo, I do what I can and listen when my sewing machine calls.
    When I "go" they may say of me "Hey, you could'a eat off'n her floors!....there was a lot o' good stuff down there!"
    :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by shoofly
    This is a must-see web site for anyone who wants to clean house the absolutely easiest way possible, and with only three products that practically do the work for you and only costs about $16 a year. Never thought I would say house cleaning is fun, but I don't mind it now.

http://thelostartofhousecleaning.com
    Wow, thanks for sharing this! I want to get her book & check out her methodology... :thumbup: :-P :lol:

My DH does all the housework, cooking, he even washs dishs. I think I will keep him. We share.

As long as the floors are swept and dishes washed up with the table more or less tidy I have plenty of time to do what I want to do. Washing the floor every month or so if they are too stained with mud etc is good enough for me.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast