Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Housework

"I am with you...my hubby always says we should have company every so often...that's when the house gets really clean!!!!!
    BJ"

LOL.. I do my BEST house cleaning when someone calls on their cell and says they are about 15 minutes away... watch me flyyyyyyyyy......

Blog Entries
    I have another wall plague in my house....
    "You can touch the dust....but don't date it!"

enough said...

Housework?????

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
    I live by my mothers suggestions:
    1) don't dust - if you don't disturb it won't look "dusty" :oops: and soon it you will have "new gray" furniture.
    2) dishes only need to be washed when you need more to serve dinner - a service of eight will last four days since there is only my husband and myself to worry about these days
    3) the bed only needs to be made when company comes but the sheets need washing every week.

Hope this helps. Barbara W

lue
    WHAT?! Are we supposed to make a choice? Well, you know which one wins.

Here is a poem that someone put on an embroidered wall hanging
    Cleaning and dusting can wait til tomorrow
    for babies grow up I've learnt to my sorrow
    So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

My babies are all grown up, no one died from oven crud poisioning so now I use that phiosophy about my quilting.

Other than hiring a maid, no clue. I am so sick of housecleaning and cooking. When do I really get to retire. Yes I have to work it all around my quilting which I want to do 24/7.

Embroider this to hang in your home and remember it in your brain ......."Dull women have immaculate homes! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
    I try to keep the bathroom and kitchen really nice and clean but I don't sweat the rest of the house too much. My husband has been doing the vacuming and moping since I had shoulder and hip surgeries and he's happy to continue so I'm glad he's willing to do these things for me.

Blog Entries
    I went to the FLYLADY site and I'm going to start the routine on Monday. I was better at keeping things straight when I had a small child and worked 60 hrs a week. Retirement seems to cause me to put things off. The downstairs "public areas" are always neat and clean. The 2nd floor is messy because we keep the fishing and quilting stuff in the extra bedrooms. Now I'm even overflowing into the nice quest room.
    Quilts are nice. BUT, I have to decide what to do with old family pics. etc. I don't want my son to have to go through what my brothers & I did cleaning out our parents house. They had things stashed away where it didn't show but when you have to pull it out and look at everything! It took us almost 2 years of weekends.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeannie t
    I get up at 5 every morning and do my cleaning, our home is for sale now and I don't always get alot of notice before a showing,but putting things back in there place after using saves alot of time, so I keep ahead of the prolbem.
    Jeannie t you have a really good excuse to do housework. Me - well no, my house isn't for sale, so I have a fantastic excuse, not to worry about it and try and enjoy my retirement. lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeannie t
    I get up at 5 every morning and do my cleaning, our home is for sale now and I don't always get alot of notice before a showing,but putting things back in there place after using saves alot of time, so I keep ahead of the prolbem.
    Jeannie t you have a really good excuse to do housework. Me - well no, my house isn't for sale, so I have a fantastic excuse, not to worry about it and try and enjoy my retirement. lol.
    I should try "playing my house is for sale" I bet that would help Thanks Jeannie!

Get your darling husband to do it. That's what I do.

Dee
    Dirt and dust will be here long after we're gone-so enjoy today and don't worry-be happy.

i work full time, so when i get a day off, housecleaning is the furthest thing from my mind. i always remember a line from "andy capp", that found mrs capp on her knees, scrubbing the floor, then doing dishes, then sweeping, doing laundry, putting groceries away, and andy, walking past saying, "housework, done properly, can kill you." i have no desire to die a premature death. i consider dust a protective coating for the furniture, and a good indicator if a stranger has been in the house. you know--fingerprints!

Blog Entries
    House work??????? I'm not sure what your talking about. I have a path to my sewing machine what more do I need, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Quilting is more important that housework!!!!
    AMEN!!!!!!!

I have a full-time (60 hours a week) sales job, so I just crash when I get home. I'm also on the road about 4 months out of the year. My quilting is my sanity. My husband of 36 years just clears the decks for me. Cooks, cleans, grocery shops, and does his own laundry. Has a fresh pot of coffee on when I get home. Takes care of my car. I had cleaning ladies for about 25 years when the girls were growing up, same job, same hectic schedule. It was lovely. But we downsized when the girls left for husbands, and everything does not have to be perfect all the time. The best thing about having someone clean the house for you is that it all gets cleaned at once.

I have a cross stitched saying over the door:
    Quilting Forever, Housework Whenever
    I try to live by that !! LOL I do put quilting and other sewing aside when I'm expecting guests, THEN SUPERCLEAN

I've heard about this FlyLady website... guess I'll have to see what it's all about.

Are you volunteering? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ajonkarl
    Quote Originally Posted by debp33
    I've had to resort to setting the timer, too. An hour of housework, then I can quilt.
    Good idea - will have to use. I do the dishes at night when watching prime time tv, every commercial I do as much as I can (how come there is so many for such a family of 3? and an awful lot of long commercials)
    That's how I do dishes also. The commercials are getting longer and longer (or I'm getting better and better at it) :lol:

When the dust gets too thick in the living room, DH grabs a swiffer wand and dusts off the TV. :lol:

I recently re-joined FlyLady.com. It's amazing what you can accomplish in 15minutes. Then it's back to quilting!

Quote Originally Posted by MillieH
    Have you ever gone to a funeral and heard someone say in the eulogy, "She kept a really clean house"? Doubtfully you
    have, so why bother. Just don't let it get filthy. That's all that counts.
    Hi Millie: Funny that you should ask if anyone ever heard "they kept a really clean house" at a funeral...my uncle's funeral was Thursday and the pastor said those very words about how my aunt and uncle kept their home, yard, and cars! Before last week, I had never heard that at a funeral either.

I used to stress over the house then I had teenagers and now they are grown evryone can clean what they mess up. I do major cleaning every once and a while but now I do a little housework and the spend the rest of the time in my sewing room.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast