Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Housework

I have a little wooden girl that I bought at a craft show; her hair is standing on end and she says, "housework makes you ugly." I no longer stress over the dust. When it gets too thick I grab the swiffer.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I've got a housekeeper. No way I can keep up the house like I want it. Not enough hours in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    hire a house cleaner...best 40 bucks ever spent :thumbup:
    David
    My sentiment exactly! I worked away from home for years and always figured house help was "my pay". My husband really wanted a clean house and the only way that was going to happen was if I hired someone to come in and help. I am not a house cleaner--the sewing machine calls much louder.

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Always kept a neat and tidy house but never was complusive about housework. DH and I are retried and home a lot so lots of cups and dishes all day long but glad I can hide them in the dishwasher. DH, after 56 years of marriage, covers over our bed in the morning and I throw dirty clothes into hamper in the closet so that room looks 'neat'. Sun shone on bedroom mirror the other day and I noticed it was quite dusty - can't remember when I last cleaned it but it's on my To Do List. Spring is here so I guess I'll do it when I clean the bedroom windows. I'm 75 and have limited amount of engery and don't want to spend it all on cleaning the house and afterwards all I want to do is take a nap instead of quilting. Speaking of quilting, I'm going to finish my coffee and then go right to my sewing machine and finish off my latest quilt. May in Jersey
    If that's you in your avatar, you certainly don't LOOK 75!
    Thanks, I look young there because I'm hold fabric, LOL, May

me too. Been trying to make two squares for the Just One Star quilt all day. I've read millions of messages. Still no squares. They are cut and pinned.

Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
    Yes, our houses do suffer once we find quilting!

I can suggest the FlyLady method. She has a group on yahoo. It is a group for those with fibro. It's a method where you divide up the house in sections and work on different sections different days of the week. She teaches how to short-cut house chores and gives lots of tips.

Use a timer, work on the house, then reward yourself with quilting. The quilting reward makes digging into the housework not seem like such a chore, cause in no time at all, you get to be back quilting.

When life tends to take over, try to get at least 15 minutes of sewing in each day. You will not feel quite as deprived and the little bits of sewing daily tend to add up by the end of the week.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to share.

Pam M
    I try to get 15 minutes of housework done a day & then quilt. LOL

kjg

Dust will always be there long after you are gone, but a quilt to snuggle with will be a cherished reminder you were there.

What a great husband!!

It is against my religion.

I usually do some cleaning, then some quilting, but lately I have not done any quilting, just can't seem to get motivated

Blog Entries
    I just get by with as little as possible. I just do the very necessary things. Then when I see the dust bunnies I get on the ball.

You've all made me so happy today. I thought I was the only one who would rather play. Now I know we are all cut from the same cloth.

I have a beautiful quilting room which opens with double doors onto our bedroom...so I am compelled to keep it pretty neat. I used to have a sewing room where a I could close the door - what a mess. I prefer having one where there is a view and I have to keep it neat and organized.

For the rest of the house, I try a little bit each day and then make sure I have company over every three to four weeks to ensure that I do a thorough cleaning job before they arrive. That way the house looks great at least once a month.

I use to be such a perfectionist but that has gone by the wayside. I think when my kids became teenagers I decided I couldn't keep up now I'm just to old. But I try.

The sign on my door reads
    "If you are coming to see ME-Come Ahead!"
    "If you are coming to see the house, Call Ahead!"

Really good mom......love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    The best thing I ever did was keep my kids clothes to a bare minimum. No over filled closets or drawers. A laundry pile up will depress anyone. My kids had to clean up every mess they made. I never let them think it was okay to expect Mom to clean up after them. As they got older they learned no mess, no cleaning up.

You make me laugh....but it is a great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella
    I consider myself an conservationist/evironmentalist....I save trees by letting the dust cover the tables enough that I can leave notes and not use paper...thus saving trees...when one table has all the notes it can handle I blow it off and start over!

Where did you find a housekeeper for $40 - I wish!! I have decided that dust is ok. I work 12 hour days so I don't get much done during the week, try to do some housework on Saturdays and quilt on Sundays.

I think it is amazing that we all have to keep our houses a certain way in order for the "housework police" or "cobweb chasers" to give their approval when they visit once in a while. I don't care (any more) what they think. I keep it clean and vermin free but it's definitely rarely "neat as a pin" - that's too anal-retentive for me. Happy sewing everyone!

Blog Entries
    I live alone with my dog and still cannot mannage to keep upbut I do have a system scrub kitchen and bathroom every week before I got my shark steamer it was ever three weeks because I would be in bed all the next day. I try to cacumn every other day because I got this idea I needed a dog for company and she sheds, however most times I set in my office chair and vacumn the middle of the room, if I didnt do it that way it would be in bed again for a day or two. I do keep my dishes done but have to sit on a stool to do them I try to spend 10 minutes a day on other chores thought about hiring a cleaning lady but there would go my money for fabric and beads and other craft items. Looked for a neighborhood girl to hire for a while but none were interested so my house is not always company clean. Need to start looking for a man friend with benifits that would mean one that will clean the house

I try to "do" one room a day and just generally keep the place picked up. I reward myself for jobs done by sitting down at the machine. I console myself for jobs poorly done by sitting down at the machine. Oh hell, I clean around my machine time!

Blog Entries
    I just make it a rule to get my housework done before I sit down to quilt. I know once I get started quilted I am not going to be getting up for nothing...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by slstitcher
    My house gets bad when I quilt. Then it gets to me so I get it cleaned up. I once cross stiched a sampler that said Dust is a protective covering for furniture. Mine sometimes is protected a lot. My DH never seems to notice the mess, anyway he never says anything.
    NO kids! Dust lets you know what go's in that spot. Just like any other outline

:lol:

Another thing I'm going to do is get rid of all the knick knacks I have around the house except for a few sentimental ones that I will keep. They have to be cleaned and I'm tired of cleaning them every time I dust. Going to have a huge yard sale as soon as the weather permits. Then will have some more cash for fabric!! I do try to keep my house picked up and the kitchen and bathrooms very clean, but the rest of the house does suffer from time to time. Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions. Housework, sometimes, Quilting, forever.

Since I've returned to quilting my house has taken a back seat which annoys my DH. He is fantastic around the house, always has been, and when I'm in my quilting mode he takes up the slack. On Saturdays I devote the entire day to house cleaning, we're talking heavy duty cleaning and then the week can be devoted to the more important things. I used to have a kitchen floor that you could eat off of, but then I got smart and realized that no one would eat off the floor in the first place.

I do cook every day, and that is in part due to my love of cooking so it really isn't that big a sacrifice.

I'm in the last part of my life and I intend to squeeze as much out of every day as I can. Quilting was a passion when I was in my thirties and I couldn't give time to it. Now I'm retired and it makes me happy. When I'm happy it spills into my husband's life and makes him happy.

So, keep your house as clean as you possibly can; but don't stop quilting to dust the furniture.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast