Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Housework

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    How do you find time to get housework done
    I don't "find" time because I stopped looking. I have a sign that says "Housework won't kill me but I won't take any chances" - am actually thinking of turning that into a wall hanging for the entryway. That way NOBODY should be surprised when the enter the chaos. lol

Exceptions: I keep the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry, kittybox and self in some semblance of order.

What housework? That's an ugly word! Actually, there's only the two of us, and my husband shares equally in the work.

Quilting forever, housework whenever.

There are a few things I do everyday no matter what. Make the bed, clean up the kitchen and just generally put things
    away. I used to do EVERYTHING on Saturday, but now physically I can't do that so I split it up and do some every
    day or so. I never mind to scrub kitchen floors, do dishes
    or iron. If those things need to be done, I can't keep my
    mind on my sewing until they are done. I usually sew/quilt
    some everyday. Some days not much if I have to grocery shop
    etc. etc. I think what makes us a true quilt addict is that
    we must have 'some' of it every day. Summer means a little
    less quilting for me, as I have a lot of big flower beds and
    it is quite a task to keep them weeded, dead-headed, and such.

"I can suggest the FlyLady method. She has a group on yahoo. It is a group for those with fibro. "

Could you provide a ink for this or PM me--I have fibro....thanks!

Yes, my house suffers too! Today, I just cleaned the hardwood floors and waxed them. The rest can wait until another day. The one thing I know is that housework will still be there when I wake up in the morning. I try to pick up and touch at least 1 room every day.

Blog Entries
    I was pretty good about keeping my house clean, too until I fell off my concrete mixer truck and broke 5 ribs, and hurt my lower back...now I'm a shame to let people come over unless, I do heavy cleaning and then after they leave I take meds and sleep....it just kills me any more...

Blog Entries
    what's that? I have a sign on my wall:
    "My house is clean enought to be healty, and dirty enough to be happy"
    I make no appologies!
    BJ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

HOUSEWORK????? That is a new one on me, how do you make that quilt?
    LOL...I figure no one will ever remmeber me for the house being clean, but on a cold night someone may cuddle under a quilt...and say I sure miss that old lady.
    and if house bothers you that much find someone who cleans good and don't sew. Maybe you, can strike up a deal..

then why do it? I say if they are coming to see my dirt, just stay home and look at their own.
    If people are coming to check out your house then they didn't come to see you in first place

This is a must-see web site for anyone who wants to clean house the absolutely easiest way possible, and with only three products that practically do the work for you and only costs about $16 a year. Never thought I would say house cleaning is fun, but I don't mind it now.

http://thelostartofhousecleaning.com

Try flylady.net She shows you how to do your housework in 15 minutes a day, leaving time for the fun things in life. You do have to de-clutter you house first.

I'd get a lot more of everything done,if I didn't spend so much time on this darn Quilting Board.LOL .Keep stitchin'.

I always tell my husband that his next wife can clean all she wants! He doesnt care what the house looks like, but it looks surface clean when a person walks in the door. that's all is care about.

I have to admit it gets pretty deep at times. However my DH says "keep stitching, we live here, if anyone comes and doesn't like your sewing stuff around, they can go home". Gotta love that man!! Right now there are lots of threads and snips on the floor as have been working on a project that needs completed by next week.

I'm finding that getting addicted to this QB is cutting way into my quilting time....And I still don't get the housework done! And that's just reading the thread not taking time to adding much input.

So here I sit in front of the computer when I should be marking one quilt for quilting and one that needs to be sandwiched and quilted. Oh well...I quess they'll still be there!

Housework? What's housework?!!!

I think in previous generations when women didn't work outside the house, it was a given that your house looks like that of June Cleaver. It was the only way to be judged as a good wife or mother. I don't think it is like that any more. I still like a clean house but not enough to clean it. I could go on but I will stop.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
    Yes, our houses do suffer once we find quilting!

I can suggest the FlyLady method. She has a group on yahoo. It is a group for those with fibro. It's a method where you divide up the house in sections and work on different sections different days of the week. She teaches how to short-cut house chores and gives lots of tips.

Use a timer, work on the house, then reward yourself with quilting. The quilting reward makes digging into the housework not seem like such a chore, cause in no time at all, you get to be back quilting.

When life tends to take over, try to get at least 15 minutes of sewing in each day. You will not feel quite as deprived and the little bits of sewing daily tend to add up by the end of the week.

I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to share.

Pam M
    Your tips sound really great! I want to look up this site on Yahoo. I surely can use all the help I can get. As the youngest child with two older sisters, I was never really taught "how to clean properly". I grouse about it a lot. I feel I just don't know how to do it properly. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I would be very appreciative.

Blog Entries
    I am lucky, my DH does most of the housework. He is having knee repolacement in 2 days, though, so I'll have to pick up the slack. LOL

Blog Entries
    I was raised in a clutter filled, never neat home. It bothered me to have everything out of order, not just messy, it was stuff everywhere. I have to say it was a clean mess but still messy and the house never was 'nice' looking. I like pretty rooms and empty counter tops, neat closets and everything has a place. I even keep one rack in my freezer empty. You won't believe how nice that is to have an empty rack when you need it. DH is an organizer. He keeps his stuff put away and knows exactly where it is. My sewing room is my biggest chore. I can't find a system that works for me in there at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shoofly
    This is a must-see web site for anyone who wants to clean house the absolutely easiest way possible, and with only three products that practically do the work for you and only costs about $16 a year. Never thought I would say house cleaning is fun, but I don't mind it now.

http://thelostartofhousecleaning.com
    Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    hire a house cleaner...best 40 bucks ever spent :thumbup:
    David
    Can't get a housekeeper around here for less than $100 per

Blog Entries
    Housework expands according to the time you have to devote to it!

I get up around 6:30 am every day and I do my choirs. It only takes an hour to get everything done. I only have 1 21 year old kid at home and he has disabilities so it works out pretty good and really don't have to many messes to clean up.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast