Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Housework

Blog Entries
    I was just thinking about this subject yesterday as I was putting a new quilt top together. I would love to hire a cleaning service. I work hard all week at my job and all I want to do on the weekend is enjoy it relaxing. My DH gets to do what he wants so why shouldn't I do the same. Well I do have to get the laundry done today after church and lunch. But then I will be sewing again. I sure am gaining a lot of weight as well doing all the working at my job and sitting around sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    How do you find time to get housework done when all you want to do is quilt? My house sure suffers when I am in the quilting mood which is most of the time. Any secrets, please pass them along.
    "Housework" :shock: that is a swear word where a quilter is concerned, just put a sign up "Please don't write in the dust, it shows it up" :XD:
    When I come to visit, I am coming for the quilting only. Don't worry about the house. I won't write in the dust in yours if you don't write in the dust in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    hire a house cleaner...best 40 bucks ever spent :thumbup:
    David
    Ah David. Is she willing to relocate to CA or NM?

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    hire a house cleaner...best 40 bucks ever spent :thumbup:
    David
    Ah David. Is she willing to relocate to CA or NM?

Blog Entries
    Yep. Thats me! My floors need vacuming. All those little threads are beginning to show. there are dishes in the sink. the bed isn't made. But, I have made myself a promise that I will set aside at least one hour a day for housework. (After I finish this quilt.)LOL

Excuse me but you explain the meaning of 'housework'. The word doesn't seem to be in my vocabulary. :lol:

I just remember another one. "The only place housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary."

Blog Entries
    My house isn't perfect, but since I have so many visitor, I keep it reasonably clean and clutter free.

My secret is: Where I'm working, watching Tv, sleeping, before I leave that room, I do everything that should be done. When I get up in the morning, I get 2 rooms done even before I make the coffee. Those are the bathroom and the bedroom. Next is the kitchen, where I make the coffee and while that is brewing, take care of garbage for garbage disposal, check the dishwasher for space, wipe out the sink, then pour myself a great cup of joe. Then to the living room since I have crocheted and watched tv the night before and didn't obey my own rules, make sure it is straightened, sit down and then do my thing. Good feeling when I sit down knowing my housework is finished for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Quilting is more important that housework!!!!
    Amen, sister!

the only time housework comes before quilting is in the

dictionary !!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I find that no matter what the cleaning always waits for you. When you need to clean invite friends for dinner. Then it gets done. LOL

Keep up the way you are doing. I'm one who has always had to have my housework done before I do something I enjoy, and my life certainly isn't as productive as you quilters, I can assure. As I get older and am now alone, I am learning to "let it go," but I don't get to my sewing room nearly as much as I'd like. A little clutter and dust never hurt anyone.

I get up at 5 every morning and do my cleaning, our home is for sale now and I don't always get alot of notice before a showing,but putting things back in there place after using saves alot of time, so I keep ahead of the prolbem.

I clean everyday. Even when I worked full time I ran the sweeper because of the dog and cat hair. Then I did a more detailed cleaning on weekends.
    Now that I'm retired, I still run the little vaccuum, and or sweep every cottin' pickin' day. Our house has a lot of glass and an open floor plan and it's not very forgiving if "stuff" is left around and you can see dog hair tumbleweeds. I'm driven by the housework, always was. Even as a kid I cleaned to make things better. NOW, when my chores are done I get to quilting or sitting on the Board like now. I noticed that I've slowed down on my compulsiveness....dear Lord, it's about time!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Quilting is more important that housework!!!!
    Oh I love this place!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
    My house isn't perfect, but since I have so many visitor, I keep it reasonably clean and clutter free.

My secret is: Where I'm working, watching Tv, sleeping, before I leave that room, I do everything that should be done. When I get up in the morning, I get 2 rooms done even before I make the coffee. Those are the bathroom and the bedroom. Next is the kitchen, where I make the coffee and while that is brewing, take care of garbage for garbage disposal, check the dishwasher for space, wipe out the sink, then pour myself a great cup of joe. Then to the living room since I have crocheted and watched tv the night before and didn't obey my own rules, make sure it is straightened, sit down and then do my thing. Good feeling when I sit down knowing my housework is finished for the day.
    Amen, I agree. It just works better for me that way, too.
    Angela

I am fortunate having a hubby who enjoys housework!

Quote Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    I am fortunate having a hubby who enjoys housework!
    LUCKY YOU!!

Always kept a neat and tidy house but never was complusive about housework. DH and I are retried and home a lot so lots of cups and dishes all day long but glad I can hide them in the dishwasher. DH, after 56 years of marriage, covers over our bed in the morning and I throw dirty clothes into hamper in the closet so that room looks 'neat'. Sun shone on bedroom mirror the other day and I noticed it was quite dusty - can't remember when I last cleaned it but it's on my To Do List. Spring is here so I guess I'll do it when I clean the bedroom windows. I'm 75 and have limited amount of engery and don't want to spend it all on cleaning the house and afterwards all I want to do is take a nap instead of quilting. Speaking of quilting, I'm going to finish my coffee and then go right to my sewing machine and finish off my latest quilt. May in Jersey

Blog Entries
    I am retired and I thought I could keep my house cleaner by doing it more often, well that when down the drain and now that I started quilting, housework is on the bottom of my list. I did spend yesterday morning cleaning.. it really felt good, now I can go back to cutting fabric I clean every 2 weeks (should). My Mother said do it all in one day and then you're finish but that does not work for me. I do divide it up, anyhow it felt like spring here yesterday and I opened the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    Always kept a neat and tidy house but never was complusive about housework. DH and I are retried and home a lot so lots of cups and dishes all day long but glad I can hide them in the dishwasher. DH, after 56 years of marriage, covers over our bed in the morning and I throw dirty clothes into hamper in the closet so that room looks 'neat'. Sun shone on bedroom mirror the other day and I noticed it was quite dusty - can't remember when I last cleaned it but it's on my To Do List. Spring is here so I guess I'll do it when I clean the bedroom windows. I'm 75 and have limited amount of engery and don't want to spend it all on cleaning the house and afterwards all I want to do is take a nap instead of quilting. Speaking of quilting, I'm going to finish my coffee and then go right to my sewing machine and finish off my latest quilt. May in Jersey
    If that's you in your avatar, you certainly don't LOOK 75!

Blog Entries
    Oh yea Ramona! I agree. With Flylady, you are only cleaning 15 minutes a day. you can Google her, she sends out emails I think once a week now with the daily chore.... Not nearly so painful!
    Me? My housekeeper never shows up! I get it done when I feel like it, but like my evenings to be for quilting.....

I straighten the Familyroom before I go to bed. Get up and take a shower, make beds, do dishes, pick up and I am ready to sew. However I do have a Cleaning Lady twice a month. My Mom said the secret was to pick up and do dishes. Then everyone thought you were a great housekeeper. LOL!

No secrets ,I would rather quilt any day!

I figure if the kid and dogs are fed and the health dept. hasn't condemned us we are doing ok.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast