Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Housework

My house use to be cleaner but it isn't that way now. It still looks clean and I'm the only one that knows how bad it is. My husband and son help out when asked. I cleaned house for a few years, a rich retired Dr. and wife. The house was well over 100 years and had 9 bathrooms, including one in the garage. Between the damage to my body from cleaning and the fact that I hate doing it now, it just didn't get done. Try and think that in 50 years will anyone say she had a dusty house? No, but they might say she made beautiful quilts. And don't forget the dust is a protective layer on your furniture and should not be removed.

Blog Entries
    Look at it this way...quilt when you want...when your house gets so dirty that you have to clean it, everyone notices how clean it is. If it is always perfect no one notices how hard you work. My mother used to say "make the beds, clean the kitchen and bathrooms and the rest of the house will take care of itself".

I do the picking up every morning but it is just the dog and me so no big deal. One room deep clean at a time

Thanks for the Flylady tips - we need this at our house

OMG, that's me. I used to be sooo good about cleaning to keep my house clean "for my man". Yea, well after 25 years and one very messy son (he's moved out). I don't care anymore.

I work full-time, take classes, cross stitch, quilt and needlepoint and bowl twice a week, I don't have time to clean up after a hubby and 2 cats.

I would never hire a housekeeper though, because I'd have to make sure the house was clean before I'd even let her in the door. Stupid....I know.

We don't have any company come to our house anymore so it's not like it needs to be spotless.

I just spent 4 hours cleaning 3 bathrooms and one entire bedroom top to bottom. I can't believe how much dust gets under a bed and behind stuff. Now my back and shoulders hurt and I need to sit down and sew today. Oh well.

That is exactly what I am lamenting about today. I don't think I've vacuumed in a month. My house doesn't look too bad as long as I don't put my glasses on to inspect. I really need to clean.... Thanks for mentioning this. My husband likes a clean kitchen so he helps take care of that for me.

Vacuuming sucks! ;)

I keep my vacuum cleaner out so if anyone comes over, it looks like I'm busy cleaning.

And when someone says you can eat off their floor, I say there's lots of food on mine too!

People would tell me "you could eat off the floors". I WAS a cleaning nut. But quilting and age made me realize, with 2 g-kids, I can't do like I use to. So I pick up, put up and keep quilting. :lol:

My husband does it all so I can quilt. And no He is not for sale.

Flylady is marvellous. I've been on that link for a few years. My motto is fifteen minutes at a time.

I try to reward myself for some small job done by quilting. I get a couple of hours more in that way. Quilting is always more fun

I consider myself an conservationist/evironmentalist....I save trees by letting the dust cover the tables enough that I can leave notes and not use paper...thus saving trees...when one table has all the notes it can handle I blow it off and start over!

HOUSEWORK MAKES YOU UGLY!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aorlflood
    Quilting is more important that housework!!!!
    A big amen to that statement!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    The best thing I ever did was keep my kids clothes to a bare minimum. No over filled closets or drawers. A laundry pile up will depress anyone. My kids had to clean up every mess they made. I never let them think it was okay to expect Mom to clean up after them. As they got older they learned no mess, no cleaning up.

I just let my house go, but plan on getting a house cleaner in July. I can only take so much dirt, dog hair before I go nuts, but nuts or not, I quilt don't clean. My laundry is always up to date, but boy do I need a BIG MAJOR SPRING CLEANING.

Quote Originally Posted by kem77
    My uncle keeps telling me at 80.Ashes to ashes dust to dust. We will all be there some day so don't worry it is like not disturbing your neighbors. Keep on Quilting it will be enjoyed longer. :lol: :thumbup:
    I like your uncle. I also say if you are coming to see my house, don't bother coming over.

Quote Originally Posted by 117becca
    Cleaning??? I want to know how i can write IEPs, write Re-evals, and keep caught up w/ student's work/grades when I'd rather quilt!
    I'm a retired special educ. teacher and your message overloaded me with flashbacks. I need t tranq!!!!!

There may be dust in my house but there ain't any on me.

That is my motto:

Carol J/

Blog Entries
    My motto is - if you want to visit me you can come any time, but if you come to see my house call before.
    I clelan once a week unless the kitchen floor needs cleaning then I just have to spray and wipe it up, takes 5 minutes time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical
    I have found that if I get enough sleep which doesn't happen often/rarely ever, I can get everything done. When that doesn't happen, I do what my DH suggests which is quilt or read and take naps.

One thing that does work is to set the kitchen timer for one hour and then race around and get as much done as I can before the timer rings. I have found that I can dust, vacuum and clean bathrooms in that amount of time. If I put in a load of laundy when I start, I can get that done, too. It also serves as exercise for my heart because moving faster gets my heart rate up. That's a good thing. :)
    When I mentioned vacumming, I didn't mean the carpets my DH does that. I did mean the kitchen, dining, laundry, entryway and bath rooms. I always make our bed, clean the kitchen and cook everyday. I hope you find a system that works for you.

I'm going back to my quilting now because I have already done several loads of laundry and cleaned the refrigerator and freezer. I just took a short break to eat an orange.
    You have my method. My DH and I call it our hour of power and we do it once a week. Kitchen every day. Some days make the bed other days--shut the door.

i wish i could leave the dust, but i am so allergic it has to be done..

i try to do the upstairs one nite, downstairs one night, and kitchen L off the main house 1 nite.. only takes an hour or so... do a load of laundry every nite in the winter..to keep the pipes from freezing..

i found that once we (i ??) made the commitment to put everything away and empty the dishes from the sink & generally tidy up a bit b4 i go to bed, it make the actual cleaning go much faster...

i tend to take the sheets off the bed in the am, run the washer while i'm @ work also spray the bathroom cleaner on everything b4 i go to work... makes it a quick wipe down @ nite...

i find i am much less stressed when my house is clean than when i used to let it all pile up.. then have to spend a whole weekend cleaning it ...

Do, What ? That why there is the idea of kid(s) and allowances. ;-)

oh yes, cooking..

cooking is done in batches around here.. if i make tuna casserole, i make 4-6 batches of the sauce in a stockpot, then freeze it in the vacuum bags.. then i can boil the bag and some noodles & dinner is ready..

do the same thing with most meals..even sausage w/peppers & onions.. just don't cook the vegies as long...

love soup.. make vats of turkey barley soup after thanksgiving dinner..barley freezes great, unlike rice or noodles...

it doesn't make anymore mess to cook in big batches than to cook and individual batch... if you have enough freezer space..

i made sure when we needed a new fridge that we got the separate refrig & freeze units... they are kenmores.. but on the lines of subzero separate units.

Blog Entries
    hmmmm glad I'm not the only one is letting my house go, but really its more to back pain then quilting...but I do try to clean at least one room a day but sometimes it even hurts just to do that...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast