Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Housework >

Housework

Housework

Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have found that if I get enough sleep which doesn't happen often/rarely ever, I can get everything done. When that doesn't happen, I do what my DH suggests which is quilt or read and take naps.

One thing that does work is to set the kitchen timer for one hour and then race around and get as much done as I can before the timer rings. I have found that I can dust, vacuum and clean bathrooms in that amount of time. If I put in a load of laundy when I start, I can get that done, too. It also serves as exercise for my heart because moving faster gets my heart rate up. That's a good thing. :)
When I mentioned vacumming, I didn't mean the carpets my DH does that. I did mean the kitchen, dining, laundry, entryway and bath rooms. I always make our bed, clean the kitchen and cook everyday. I hope you find a system that works for you.

I'm going back to my quilting now because I have already done several loads of laundry and cleaned the refrigerator and freezer. I just took a short break to eat an orange.
You have my method. My DH and I call it our hour of power and we do it once a week. Kitchen every day. Some days make the bed other days--shut the door.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM

i wish i could leave the dust, but i am so allergic it has to be done..

i try to do the upstairs one nite, downstairs one night, and kitchen L off the main house 1 nite.. only takes an hour or so... do a load of laundry every nite in the winter..to keep the pipes from freezing..

i found that once we (i ??) made the commitment to put everything away and empty the dishes from the sink & generally tidy up a bit b4 i go to bed, it make the actual cleaning go much faster...

i tend to take the sheets off the bed in the am, run the washer while i'm @ work also spray the bathroom cleaner on everything b4 i go to work... makes it a quick wipe down @ nite...

i find i am much less stressed when my house is clean than when i used to let it all pile up.. then have to spend a whole weekend cleaning it ...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM

Do, What ? That why there is the idea of kid(s) and allowances. ;-)
Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 AM

oh yes, cooking..

cooking is done in batches around here.. if i make tuna casserole, i make 4-6 batches of the sauce in a stockpot, then freeze it in the vacuum bags.. then i can boil the bag and some noodles & dinner is ready..

do the same thing with most meals..even sausage w/peppers & onions.. just don't cook the vegies as long...

love soup.. make vats of turkey barley soup after thanksgiving dinner..barley freezes great, unlike rice or noodles...

it doesn't make anymore mess to cook in big batches than to cook and individual batch... if you have enough freezer space..

i made sure when we needed a new fridge that we got the separate refrig & freeze units... they are kenmores.. but on the lines of subzero separate units.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 AM

hmmmm glad I'm not the only one is letting my house go, but really its more to back pain then quilting...but I do try to clean at least one room a day but sometimes it even hurts just to do that...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
How do you find time to get housework done
I don't "find" time because I stopped looking. I have a sign that says "Housework won't kill me but I won't take any chances" - am actually thinking of turning that into a wall hanging for the entryway. That way NOBODY should be surprised when the enter the chaos. lol

Exceptions: I keep the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry, kittybox and self in some semblance of order.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 AM

What housework? That's an ugly word! Actually, there's only the two of us, and my husband shares equally in the work.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:13 AM

Quilting forever, housework whenever.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 AM

There are a few things I do everyday no matter what. Make the bed, clean up the kitchen and just generally put things
away. I used to do EVERYTHING on Saturday, but now physically I can't do that so I split it up and do some every
day or so. I never mind to scrub kitchen floors, do dishes
or iron. If those things need to be done, I can't keep my
mind on my sewing until they are done. I usually sew/quilt
some everyday. Some days not much if I have to grocery shop
etc. etc. I think what makes us a true quilt addict is that
we must have 'some' of it every day. Summer means a little
less quilting for me, as I have a lot of big flower beds and
it is quite a task to keep them weeded, dead-headed, and such.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 AM

"I can suggest the FlyLady method. She has a group on yahoo. It is a group for those with fibro. "

Could you provide a ink for this or PM me--I have fibro....thanks!