Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How adventurous of a quilter are you? >

How adventurous of a quilter are you?

How adventurous of a quilter are you?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 AM

I think it is stunning -- but, would really like to see it made up rather than just computer generated. Even the center 18" block would be a show stopping wall hanging! Thanks for sharing
Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 AM

Default Adventurous?

I am an all weather sewist - like to make a wide variety. Not a traditional quilter though I find QB very helpful and interesting. I'd say I like a "challenge" more than adventure. I'm in the final phases of 2 twin "bloomquilts" by Amy Butler for my granddaughters (http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/produ...e_patterns.php) Thirty some yards of designer fabric and 600 yo yos later ( pattern was free lol) I'm ready to sew the flowers on and call it done. I saw the picture and HAD to make it for SOMEBODY! Those will be enough adventure for me for quite awhile. Just gathering 25 different fabrics from many sources was a challenge. I wanted to use all of her fabrics so they would mirror the photo. It's been a couple of years since I started and I'm ready to be done.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 04:49 AM

well its very beautiful but...not on my list of things to try. I am way too much of a newbie at quilting to attempt anything like that yet.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 AM

No way!!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

Being disable now (depleted motor skills), I try to challenge myself as a quilter in making a pattern look better or give it my own twist. I have two started quilts that I will never be able to finish, don't want to add a third one to the pile !!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 AM

Wow! It is beautiful. Maybe someday. After I finish my GFG lol
Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 AM

Beautiful quilt but way beyond me.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
with applique there's no 1/4 inch seam to worry about!
Well.... with fusible applique, yes, no seam allowance to worry about. There are other methods that do turn under the raw edge of applique by 1/4 inch.

I went from the freezer paper and starch method, to the heat-resistant template and starch method, and now I'm contemplating a wash-away stabilizer and glue method. Maybe someday I'll come back to the fusible-and-button-stitch method.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 AM

It is a beauty, but definitely not my style.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Suz

Guys, I'm game. I love applique, doing it in the evening while watching TV. I have gone to the site and am unable to see how to get the past patterns as they are offering #7 now. Obviously, I need 1-6 as well as being able to sign up for the next months. Has anyone figured it out?

Some of her past patterns are really nice also and not quite so detailed. The one called "Pink" is sweet.

Anyone else going to attempt this one?

Peckish - have you tried back-basting applique? I find it to be the easiest method of needle-turn applique. The only thing I do with the starch method of preparation, is small circles. Just cannot get them smooth when they are tiny. Otherwise, like back-basting.