Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How adventurous of a quilter are you? >

How adventurous of a quilter are you?

How adventurous of a quilter are you?

Old 11-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Thank you so much for posting this! I am adventurous enough, but tend to sew my own designs and very rarely that of another designer. I think I'm going to have to make an exception here, though. This quilt is spectacular! I've applied to join the Yahoo group, so am waiting for acceptance and hope to get started as soon as possible. I agree that on a quilt like this one it is best to take time and break it down into smaller sections.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I have gone to the site and am unable to see how to get the past patterns as they are offering #7 now. Obviously, I need 1-6 as well as being able to sign up for the next months. Has anyone figured it out?
You need to join Esther's Yahoo group, it's free and all the files are there for download. I was approved for membership within an hour of joining, so it's not a long process at all.

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
Peckish - have you tried back-basting applique? I find it to be the easiest method of needle-turn applique. The only thing I do with the starch method of preparation, is small circles. Just cannot get them smooth when they are tiny. Otherwise, like back-basting.
No, but I might have to put that on my to-try list! I've yet to do any needle-turn, either. I watched Reiko Kato (I think it was her) do a little bit while at the Houston show. Her skills are amazing.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

It's beautiful, however, I doubt I would tackle a quilt that challenging. I like a challenge sometimes, but lean towards more intermediate skill quilts.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 PM

When she started this, I passed it up. It would not be too hard to do but I prefer piecing to applique.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 PM

I looked at this last night, my answer then would have been no way I think. I was just to tired to think about starting. This morning fresh as a daisy and full of go. As long as the pattern is symmetrical will definitely have a go.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 AM

It looks like so many of us either hate it or love it. Nice to see that some are actually going to challenge themselves. I think the thing that is holding me back the most is fabric/color choices. Shoot I struggle when a pattern calls for more than 4 different fabrics. Maybe I could just close my eyes grab and go!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 AM

Its gorgeous.. But no .. I give cudos to anyone who does it though. I have stopped making large size quilts. I have so many tops that need to be quilted and I cannot do it myself anymore and can't afford to get them quilted soo I stopped. Right now I am simply making tote bags from orphan blocks and scraps when I can .. I have a friend who wants me to make a bunch of pillow cases for her folks in the nursing home she visits when she takes her therapy dogs and of course I have put my back out. I won't be doing much of any thing for a while.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 AM

I am to new to applique to attempt this project, but I signed up to follow her blog. Such a generous designer! The GFG taught me that the process is the thing, ignore the finish. So some day I may attempt something like this, I really do like the medallion style. Even the beginners project I am currently working on has gotten better block by block so having a variety of new techniques would keep the process exciting. Thank you so much for posting the site!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 AM

Wow no way would I ever attempt that! Beautiful though and I am impressed that there are quilters who can do that.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 AM

Good Luck to those who go for it; its not my style right now....although I am going to start Dear Jane in January and the 50 stars group on QB. Right now busy with the SYE projects/paperpiecing on QB BOM site free patterns from Quilting on the Square. We have done September though November now. So I have enough projects and UFOs to last a while.