Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How big was your first quilt?

Full size sarah's star or starflower hand quilted my avatar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A full size denim D9P that I made last year.

CalKing Rail Fence. Finished it back in Sept. 2010.

1st quilt was a queen sized quillo. See my avitar. It was about 7 yrs ago when I started dabbling, but, the quillo was made about 4 yrs ago

My first quilt was a very large full. I did not know how to quilt and I took large scraps and sewed them together. Every time I added an odd shaped scrap I had to lay the top on the floor, pin it in place and then sew it. For the back I used a sheet that I rolled the edges to the front. I tied it. I made it for DH for the first Christmas that I knew him before we were married. Sadly enough because of the poor construction it got holes in it over the years and not knowing how to fix it I threw it away. I have no picture of it either.

Blog Entries
    queen size. but i did four patches,reversible. sewed those together into rows and rows into a queen quilt. i had no idea what i was doing.

Queen size, embroidered blocks alternating with print blocks, around a medallion.

36 years ago. Still in use. My girls say that as long as that quilt is on our bed, they know it is home. (We have moved a lot.)

Mine was a king.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsDesigns
    How big was your first quilt? What was the pattern? Do I dare to ask? How long ago was that?

Mine was full/queen size, Donna Poster foldy stuff sewn on muslin squares. That sucker is so heavy that now, if on the bed, I have to fold it over to the other side, can't stand the weight of it on my feet. Also made shams for it. I stippled the borders on it and that was my first attempt to FMQ. I was chicken and did it with monofilament thread so if I crossed over a line, nobody would know. I think I was in my 60's then, before I retired.

It was a baby quilt. That quilt got me hopelessy hooked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Queen sized 9 patch for basset hound rescue. What an adventure. A friend had some hound squares already cut and since I had just bought a new sewing machine asked if I could put a quilt together. Being clueless I said I guess so. I had no experience whatsoever with quilting but added sashing and borders, I even SID on my machine. I made shams to match using the sham off my bed pillow as a guide. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing-this was several years ago. Another friend of mine won the set for her seldom used guest room. I always pray she never has to wash the quilt.

Full bed size made as a Christmas present for my parents, log cabin, 28 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyBee
    It was a baby quilt. That quilt got me hopelessy hooked.
    Simply beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Queen size. My avatar. Finished one year ago this month. Happy 1st quilting BD to me!
    YEAH!

Mine was for my dolls...I was about 6 or 7...over a half of century ago. My grandmother gave me a cigar box full of squares, a spool of thread and a needle. and that as they say was where it all began.

My first quilt was supposed to be a full size log cabin that was going to be a wedding gift for my brother. I had been sewing for many years and thought surely I can teach myself to quilt. Got a "Quilt in a Day" book, material, and with 5 children under 8, thought I have plenty of time while they nap and are at school. Finished the top but couldn't decide on the borders so it grew, once the borders were added, to about the size of a California King. I liked the look of the top too much to give it away so 19 years later, I am hand quilting this first project. Hope to have it done by their 20th anniversary this fall for my bed.

When I was 8 I made a doll quilt out of my scraps of my mothers polyester double-knit fabric (leftovers from all the trendy new clothes she had made!). It was was just simple rectangles, with a piece of sheet for backing and no batting, but I remember being very fussy about the arrangement of the colors and playing around with it until I thought it was just right.

The recipient (my Baby TenderLove) thought it was the most wonderful gift she'd ever received of course!

My very first quilt was a 2 color blue, 2" square, full size tied quilt. One of my dearest friends has it and when I look at it....... well let's just say, I do see improvement. :roll:

Blog Entries
    My first 'quilt' was a 16x20" wall quilt in the School House pattern. I hated the hand quilting. That was in the early 80's and I have come a long way. . . now I love the hand quilting!

I guess my 'first' quilt was for DN when she married 20 something years ago. It was large blocks and it was tied. I knew NOTHING about quilting then. Sometimes I think I still don't know much!!! :lol:

Mine was a twin size crazy quilt. I actually made two of them for my kids beds.

Delectable mountains, Queen size

Blog Entries
    I started mine when my daughter was in the 8th grade and finished it when she was a sophomore. She is 37 now. I made my own design of pieced stars "Rebecca's Stars" I called it. The stars themselves were made from scraps I had left from clothes I had made since I had started sewing. Clothes discarded in my family, clothes I had made for her since she was born and so forth. The only fabric I bought was the backing, strips I put between the blocks and the binding. I sewed all the stars by hand and hand quilted. It was a queen size quilt, she had a double bed but wanted a "big quilt" she said. She loved it. She used it until it is almost totally destroyed now. I wish I new how to fix it and give it back to her. Any ideas? GREAT QUESTION!!!!

I was so intrigued by making 9 patches that i kept on going till it was king sized. Turned them on point and left the edges zigzag for a unique look. It's still in use on my bed every day, I love it so much.

My first quilt was a doll blanket that I hand stitched for my dolls. My first big quilt was for my niece when she was born in 1976. I just sewed 5" blocks together of pink and light green. Back then I tied the quilt with yarn instead of quilting it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast