Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How big was your first quilt?

I guess my first quilt was a whole cloth baby quilt that I hand quilted. That was when I learned I really don't like hand quilting! That was 8+ years ago.

My first quilt was last year, a lap quilt, 9 patch and tied.

Mine was a twin size log cabin and the color choices were AWFUL. I still have it too. That was in about 1990

HeHe Mine was a whole cloth quilt about 20 years ago before I knew there was such a thing. It is my puppy's blanket now. My "REAL" first quilt was a lap size log cabin that was tied.

I can't do anything small to begin with. Oh no. I did a King size. It was Eleanor Burns "Star Log Cabin". Quilt in a day my A#%! She lies. It took me 3 months. Never made a quilt before in my life. Have been hooked ever since. :D :D :D

My first quilt was at 10 or so, my grandmother taught me to quilt to make a headrest cover for my grandfather's chair. No pattern just 6 pieces of material sewn together and tied. That was about 40 years ago. I have been quilting on and off since then.

Blog Entries
    I made my 1st quilt (throw) in Oct.2010 and it was a very simple one with 4" squares and a border.

my first quilt was a baby quilt for the first child of our church's youth pastor. that little boy is now about 10 and his 3 siblings used it too. It was from a book of baby quilts and was an easy log cabin type with a large square in the center and about 4 or 5 large logs around it. I had novelty fabric with ducks wearing boots and raindrop fabric. That was the beginning of my quilt-making. before that i had only quilted large floor pillows for my kids.

My first quilt that was just "mine" was just larger than a double, but could be used on a queen. I wasn't into much accuracy then, since I was a teenager.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-8956-1.htm
    My daughter loves this quilt and put it in her guest room!! Guess I'll have to make her another one that isn't quilt so awful.

But if I am just making a quilt for fun, it almost always is a queen. It seems to be the most versitle size. Well, except for baby quilts. Guess I need some twin size on hand too.. . .

queen sized rail fence.....made 20+ years ago....machine strip pieced and hand quilted

Don't know why I started to BIG! LOL..... I would never suggest it for a newbie, but I really wanted a quilt for our bed and couldn't afford to buy a pre-made one...

My avatar is my first quilt. It's a Hawaiian Style (not true Hawaiian) as I did it by machine and not by hand. It took me 18 months. I finished it on Feb 9, 2011! It's a queen size bedspread with fitted corners. We love sleeping under it.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyE
    HeHe Mine was a whole cloth quilt about 20 years ago before I knew there was such a thing. It is my puppy's blanket now. My "REAL" first quilt was a lap size log cabin that was tied.
    It sounds like you don't think whole cloth quilts are actually quilts. Not pieced, but still quilted.

Personally, I think anything counts as long as you put your love and effort in. Yes, I've made "cheaters" from pre printed fabaric, and they are as warm as fancy-dancy ones. So if you make whole cloth, pre printed, or planned, or scrappy, it counts! If you tie, quilt your self, or have it fancy long arm finished, it counts! If it's a lap size, wall hanging, camp quilt, kids quilt, or king size, it counts! I love the diversity I see here and applaud those that are accomplished, those who are beginning, and those who just want to get a project done! Keep it, give it, sell it, anything counts! Guess you get my point!!

I agree!

Williams AZ - hey, I've been there!

Let me know if you are coming back!

Quote Originally Posted by katieranch
    Let me know if you are coming back!
    My husband has worked for the STate of AZ for years (child protective services), so I've been all over AZ. Sometimes I've traveled with him, and I remember going to Williams from Flag to Kingman (both are county seats for court).

Wow...I am in the process of forming a non profit organization to make quillows for kids going into foster care...you have been sent from on high!

King, log cabin Elenor Burns quilt in a day, It is a wonderful confidence builder.

Twin size Strawberry Shortcake girl quilt for my 4 yr old. (She still has it and shes now 30).

I got pillow squares, cut them and sewed them together. My mother in law who was a good old fashioned quilter instructed me. I started to hand quilt it but she finished it up.

Mine was back in 1991, a queen size log cabin. I took a class. I still have it :-) It is worn but loved!

double size.

My first was a queen size log cabin in 1982 in blues, browns and peach. I used an old blanket for batting, and it was very heavy. It was too warm after we moved from St. Louis to Houston, and was rarely used after that. I gave it to Goodwill a few years ago, and I regret that I don't have a picture of it. I didn't do any more quilting for about a dozen years, but did a lot of other sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
    Just thinking back to my first quilt made me laugh today! I cut squares from a white sheet, used iron on embroidery transfers, painted them all with embroidery paint (remeber those tubes?), sashed with pink, backed with pink and yellow striped flannel. And, for the middle I put both an old blanket and an old tablecloth. No idea why. But, do you know how heavy that quilt was??!! My daughter has it today, well-loved, total tatters, but it is what it is. Over 50 years ago and a double bed size.
    You all may laugh about those tube paints, but a dear aunt of mine used them to make a set of day-of-the-week dish towels for me in 1966, and I still have some of them, and the colors are still pretty good. These were used a lot before before we got a dishwasher!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I started my first quilt at 16 and it was made of 9" Monkey wrench blocks made up of scraps, beige sashing and scrappy corner stones. I used a yellow rose sheet on the back and tied it with yarn. It was single bed size and didn't get a lot of use until I was 33 and had a little girl who needed a quilt for her big bed as her new little "brudder" needed her crib. Right now that quilt, a little worse for wear is in the big chair in the rec room and is still used every day. Poly/cotton really does wear well!
    The first quilts I made some 45 years ago were poly cotton, have been laundered 100's of times, and still look like new except for where they are getting a little threadbare from use.

Poly cotton does wear well and it feels good to the touch!
    froggyintexas

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast