Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: How big was your first quilt?

King sized log cabin with Eleanor Burns book---why start small???

My first quilt was when I was a Girl Scout. It was embroidered squares alternated with fabric. we tied it and donated it.

My first official quilt was a king size log cabin. I just read about a log cabin and cut the strips by hand. I hand quilted it. It is still on my bed and it is 27 years old. I thought I would never do another quilt. 5 years later I did one for my neice and have been quilting ever since.

I am just thinking about one for my nephew (who was born before I started quilting) who is getting married next year.

OMG my first quilt! I was convinced I could figure it all out on my own and paper pieced a queen-sized Grandmother's Flower Garden. I picked a high loft batting, not knowing any better, then stab-quilted the whole darned thing. I've still got it. It weighs a ton and is stiff as a board. After that, having learned a little humility, I read a few books, took a few classes, and stopped being such a know-it-all. :oops:

my first quilt was made in 1968, picture attached, I had forgotten the pattern but it looks like pinwheels and it was handquilted with a thin blanket for "batting". Made this quilt while living with my in-laws while DH was in Viet Nam. Don't remember what happened to it, probably gave it away after a while.

First Quilt, 1968, I was 23?24?
    Name:  Attachment-172044.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  11.0 KB

a "sunbonnet sue" baby quilt for my first daughter. I had no ideas what I was doing 37 years ago and it literally washed away into scraps. Oh, well. It was cute at first.

a "sunbonnet sue" baby quilt for my first daughter. I had no ideas what I was doing 37 years ago and it literally washed away into scraps. Oh, well. It was cute at first.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    lapsize, to try out ideas on my embroidery machine... it's absolutely horrible, but hubby claimed it and won't let me destroy it :)

Mine was a wallhanging, log cabin pattern, about 8 yrs ago, all fabrics came coordinated for me, I was hooked from the beginning.

My first quilt was a king sized Turning Twenty and it was 2 years ago. I had gone to a Janome workshop to learn how to quilt. The Janome consultant there was sarcastic and used me as an example for what a beginner should NOT do. By danged, I'd have finished that quilt or choked on it. Actually, it was quite easy and I loved it. It's on my bed right now. Pfffttt! Take that Consultant Lady! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MsDesigns
    How big was your first quilt? What was the pattern? Do I dare to ask? How long ago was that?
    My first quilt was lap sized. Just 9" blocks. God was a Boy and Dirt was new and Clean!

Quote Originally Posted by MsDesigns
    How big was your first quilt? What was the pattern? Do I dare to ask? How long ago was that?
    My first quilt was lap sized. Just 9" blocks. God was a Boy and Dirt was new and Clean!

My first quilt was a queen size sampler quilt. I learned all kinds of things making 12 totally different kinds of blocks.

My first quilt was a crib size tumbling blocks pattern, each row took me over an hour,SID to finish it. Gave it to my godson and he still has it 15 years later.

mine was a full size double wedding ring with a solid arch..and that was about 24 yrs ago

Blog Entries
    My first quilt was a appliqued trailing oak leaf quilt made in 1963. Still have it an hanging on a quilt rack in my living room.

102"x102" Lone Star--hand pieced -all pieces marked and cut one by one as it was well before rotary cutters.

Interesting question. I don't remember any quilts in our family growing up. However, when I was in high school (1965), I took scraps of polyester from sewing projects, and zigzagged together. Honestly, can't remember a backing fabric except I did tie. Very ugly, but warm.

I'm hoping I'm learning enough to make a real quilt. I don't have anyone around who quilts. Working on finding a group. You all are my inspiration. Thanks

mine was a twin size 9 patch quilt. I started it in 1987 and finished it in 1991.

youth-bed size all-over flying geese

40 years ago

My first quilt bigger than a wall hanging was a baby blanket. about 5 years ago now size doesnt matter because I mostly do miniatures. but last fall I did my first large quilt 91 in. by 91 in. 18 inch star blocks in black and white

Larger, longer twin.

King size, Night & Day, hand quilted.

My first quilt was a queen size QAYG in a snowball/nine patch pattern. I made it for my son 21 yrs ago and haven't stopped since!

My first quilt was a queen-sized log cabin. I had to have something I could use on my bed. :D

I did a rail fence one for a nephew's wedding gift about 20 years ago. It was tied. Didn't do anoyher one until about 2 and 1/2 years ago! (Marriage lasted less than a year.)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast